Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

An EPIC trip!!!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

An EPIC trip!!!

Postby Kiefer » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:01 pm

An EPIC TRIP!!!

A day trip of Quandary's East Ridge!!! YEAH! :lol:

No, not really, But now that I've got your attention...
As of September 15th, I shall be uncomfortably yet gainfully unemployed. So in lieu of my forthcoming
and ample free-time to be, I'm going climbing and camping....for 2 weeks!

The rough plan is to spend 3 days in the West Maroon Creek Valley climbing peaks such as: Bells Traverse, Sleeping Sexton, the peaks around Buckskin Pass & Belleview.

Then drive to the Weminuchee for 10 days leaving the car at Molas Pass. No real objective, no set camping sites but probably a lot of time spent bushwhacking, ridge-running and changing drainages (Ten Mile-Hunchback-Vallecito & Chicago Basin). Peaks such as: White Dome, Peak One, Two, Three, Hunchback, Mt. Nebo, Vallecito, Jagged, Hesspitz, Peak Eighteen and "South Windom" are of interest. But again, no set plans.

Lots of miles off trail, over country. I plan on going in via Elk Park and coming out Chicago Basin & back to Molas Pass.
2 full weeks.
I know folks would be interested but is anyone able to join me? :-k
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Re: An EPIC trip!!!

Postby steelfrog » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:22 pm

This sounds awesome!

Postby CorduroyCalves » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:36 pm

I'd love to but I don't think I'm at your skill level.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby TravelingMatt » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:46 pm

The two SJ peaks that are highest on my radar are Pole Creek and Oso. After that the ridge south of Vermilion (the "V" peaks), the Carson group (SE of Half) and the Every/Music combo. Just throwing out ideas, your peak list looks a lot like mine (OK, you've done harder stuff in the SJs).

As for Quandary, I took my sister up there earlier this summer. At sea level she's probably in better shape than I am nowadays but up at 14K she was completely gassed.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby howmuchhigher » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:33 pm

Sounds similar to my summer. Have a blast, I know I've been enjoying mine. I still have the last of my mission to take care of but you definitely have your work cut out for you.

Postby Dex » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:33 pm

Kiefer wrote:An EPIC TRIP!!!

Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Check out the two lakes NW of Eldorado Lake and Hunchback Mountain. They sit on a shelf and are totally isolated, amazing camping spot. Roughly 75 lat. and 79 long. if you are looking at a topo of the area. If you are near Mesa Verde give me a shout.

Postby climbnowworklater » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:11 pm

Dex wrote:
Kiefer wrote:An EPIC TRIP!!!

Dex,
You are so cool. I have to meet you in BV some time. Your comments on here are quality....every time. This time is no different. The best part about your comments, regarding pizza or the trench on Yale, is that you are right.

Kiefer, would love to join for the Maroon portion but am unavailable for the next 2 weekends.
bummer, I would love to hit those with you. be safe.
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa

Location: Little-Town; Front Ranger During the Week, Off Piste or close to it on the Weekends

Postby mtnbikir » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:18 pm

I envy you.

Postby kushrocks » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Hit me up. I am definitely down for getting out in the Elks with you.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby jblyth » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:31 pm

I was thinking North Maroon or the Bells Traverse next week....what day do you think you'll be there?