Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Partner (group) for Long's Sunday Sept. 8

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Partner (group) for Long's Sunday Sept. 8

Postby vegan_climber » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:36 am

I'm looking for a climbing buddy or group to hike Long's Sunday Sept. 8. I'll be checking weather conditions this week. I'm new to Colorado and this will be my first class 3. I've done sixteen 14ers so far and run a few trail marathons so I plan on going at a decent pace. I think meeting at the trail head at 5AM Sunday should be enough time to summit and get back. Safety will be the number one priority and I have no problem turning back if conditions get bad.
Rgds,

Rob

Re: Partner (group) for Long's Sunday Sept. 8

Postby MrJohnnySpot » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:24 am

vegan_climber wrote:I'm looking for a climbing buddy or group to hike Long's Sunday Sept. 8. I'll be checking weather conditions this week. I'm new to Colorado and this will be my first class 3. I've done sixteen 14ers so far and run a few trail marathons so I plan on going at a decent pace. I think meeting at the trail head at 5AM Sunday should be enough time to summit and get back. Safety will be the number one priority and I have no problem turning back if conditions get bad.

While I can't join you as I'm car-less at the moment...IMO, if this is your first class 3 consider starting earlier than 5am if you want an even greater chance at hitting the summit and bagging the peak. Aside from shortening your hike because you'll be closer to the parking lot I think starting at 5am to do the Keyhole could potentially push your luck (based on the weather report I checked just now), if you're not planning to run it, when it may not be necessary. Considering that there's a 50% chance of thunderstorms the clouds will likely start rolling in around 9-10am and after that point it's a gamble to whether or not they'll develop into a storm. If you're not super fast, i.e., if you're not one of the runners going up and down in a couple hours only, then you have a long time that you'll be exposed once you hit the boulder field. I looked at the peaks you've bagged already--I'm assuming that they were all done the standard route since you said this will be your first class 3--and the physical toll that I remember from each of them is a lot less than what Longs will throw at you--La Plata being the most physical demanding IMO out of the ones you've checked off. And, I know how i feel after doing a class 3 vs a class 2 and I'm usually beat down a lot more than I expect--even when I've done the route before and know what to expect. Granted, that's just my $0.02 but if safety is a concern, which it always should be and especially with Longs, and you want a good chance at bagging it, then based on the forecasted conditions I think 5am is going to potentially push the envelope for your success.

Postby vegan_climber » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:22 am

Thank you for your input! After reading many posts I've decided to leave Denver around 2 AM to get to the trail head around 3:30 and hopefully make some good progress by daybreak. My hope is there will be enough people to tag along with at that point. I don't think I'd be up for soloing past the keyhole so I'm going to try my luck at getting there and running into a few more hikers. Good call!
Rgds,

Rob

Postby Derby Ale » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:31 am

I wish you the best of luck, but encourage you to start earlier if possible. I did this on July 27th. I guess it depends on where you're leaving from in Denver, but it took me 2 hours flat from DTC. We left at 12:30 am and were at the trailhead at 2:30. Made summit at 8:00 am. The trek back is almost as slow as the trek up just due to the terrain from the Boulder Field through the Home Stretch. We were off the mountain at 2:00 pm (spent 90 minutes on the summit).

Enjoy! It's a great mountain.

Postby High_On_Thin_Air » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Hey there, I was planning on doing Capitol but all three climbing partners backed out last second. I haven't yet done Longs and would be able to join you sunday. Only catch is I'd need you to come through Boulder to pick me up. If that's not an issue I'd love to tackle this peak with you.

Postby vegan_climber » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:42 pm

Hey man sounds good. I plan on leaving Denver around 2 AM so I can swing by and grab you if you'll be ready....I am not too familiar with Boulder or much outside of Denver. If we can hit the trail with our head lamps around 3:45 I think we'll be good. A 10 hr round trip is a good estimate I guess. Can you send me a private email with your number or something I am not sure now to use this message board. -Rob
Rgds,

Rob