Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Crestone Peak 9/7 and 9/8

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Crestone Peak 9/7 and 9/8

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Would anyone be interested in Crestone Peak (standard route) from South Colony Lakes on September 7/8?

I would also be open to a couple of other alternatives, but Crestone Peak is my first choice. I'm trying to get a few more new 14ers in before the snow arrives.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Re: Crestone Peak 9/7 and 9/8

Postby Joel Moore » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:08 am

PM sent

Postby laxcountrypiper » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:52 pm

I'm interested. I would rather do it from Cottonwood but I'm open.

Postby Lady McClimbsalot » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:10 pm

From Cottonwood? How would you get there other than hauling all your stuff over Broken Hand Pass?
I'll climb till I dye!

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:11 pm

The Cottonwood Creek approach has tempted me, but I don't have a good grasp on the route or know what the deal is with private property and parking from that direction. Anyone know? Would you be able to car-camp at the trailhead and do the route in a day?
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:14 pm

From my knowledge, there is no parking at the Cottonwood Creek TH - it's all PP. You may want to contact user jdorje, I believe he is vastly familiar with this access and area.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:17 pm

I'm pretty sure Kevin Baker and Otina have a TR from this past winter on that route.

We were at the TH, which is very close to the Spanish Creek/KC TH, down Baca Grande. It's pretty straightforward. For the west approach to the Peak, just drive to the end of the road. The "TH" is small - only a few cars, but it's legit. I haven't been up the trail, though.

I need the Crestones to finish off the winter Sangre, so considering exploring the route some time this fall. This weekend might work. More details?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:25 pm

James Dziezynski wrote:It's worth noting that the Cottonwood Creek TH is now open and legal so it gives another camping option and saves you the trouble of going up and down Broken Hand Pass for Crestone Peak and only has you going up and down the "nice" side of Broken Hand for the Needle.

Still, I hear it's a booger of a hike, and don't miss the left turn. :-D

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:25 pm

The parking area for Cottonwood is small but can handle a few cars. On our trip, Heather car camped and the rest of us joined in the morning. I have a .gpx file from our winter trip that should at least get you past that tricky left turn that some have missed.

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:28 pm

Awesome - the knowledge has been adjusted, thanks all...
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby jdorje » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:45 am

I haven't been up Cottonwood since they opened it a couple years ago. There is room for a few cars which I believe are now legal to park at the TH; the main problem before was losing the trail on a couple of instances but I suspect it's easier to follow now. It's a long hike...it took us 5 hours with overnight packs just to get to the lake...at least 4000' vertical I'd say. I would guess without the packs or losing the trail, and at an average pace, 3.5 hours. 5.5 hours from trailhead to Crestone Peak is doable.

Are you talking of a day hike or overnight at the (way above treeline) lake? Overnight probably isn't justified just for Crestone (6300 vertical?) but I wouldn't mind throwing on Broken Hand, Crestone Needle, or even Crestolita with some company. So either way I might be interested.

The rain has gone crazy the last week though. One last push from the monsoon before it ends?
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby nkan02 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:30 am

I recently did the traverse the second time from that approach and it is fairly straightforward. In fact, the lower trail has improved since 2 years ago. No problem at all finding the turnoff, etc. For some reason, I (we) had some trouble finding the "trail" in the upper basin, just before getting to Cottonwood lake, both up or down. Maybe it was just tricky with the overnight pack, but not too bad. I have a .gpx track, I was meaning to update my 2 year old TR with it. Oh and we stayed at some religious retreat near the TH for some ridiculously cheap money. It was pretty nice. It's called "Baha" something. I would stay there again and one can pack in a lot of people there if needed.
Last edited by nkan02 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next