Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Little Bear-Blanca Traverse + Ellingwood PT

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Little Bear-Blanca Traverse + Ellingwood PT

Postby Jerousek » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:33 pm

Hey Guys and Girls,

Looking for a partner(s) for the Blanca Traverse/"Grand Slam". Planning on September 7-8 or Sept 28-29, but I can flex a bit.

Tentative itinerary would look something like the following:

*Drive in Friday evening and car camp at the lower TH.
*Hike up the road Saturday and camp at Como or Blue lakes.
*On Sunday Ascend LB, Traverse to Blanca, Traverse to Ellingwood Pt. Take a good rest, pack out that evening. Or camp out another evening; I defer to your preference.

I'm generally flexible on most of the logistics. The only aspect I would take a firm stance on would be that I would want to be on the trail well before first light at ~4am. Second, have a reasonable base level of fitness and a head for exposure. As you know, the combined exposure and mileage on this route is considerable.

If interested, shoot me a PM and we can get into the details!

Best regards,
Matt
“It is an honor and a privilege to be alive, however briefly, on this marvelous planet we call Earth.”
Ed Abbey

Re: Little Bear-Blanca Traverse + Ellingwood PT

Postby SpringsHiker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:44 am

PM sent
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"

Postby ahrendse » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:01 pm

I was thinking of doing this during the third or fourth weekend in Sept. Let me know what you decide doing.
`You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'

Postby IkeB » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:06 pm

Pm sent. In if its the last weekend of sept.

Postby spadflyer12 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:30 pm

PM sent.

Postby ahrendse » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:09 am

Question for the forum: is there typically snow/ice here at the end of Sept? I'm concerned about doing the LB/Blanca traverse if it's icey and I haven't seen much beta for the traverse during this part of the year...
`You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'

Postby Jerousek » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:09 am

ahrendse wrote:Question for the forum: is there typically snow/ice here at the end of Sept? I'm concerned about doing the LB/Blanca traverse if it's icey and I haven't seen much beta for the traverse during this part of the year...

It's definitely possible, but you'll never know until the date approaches. Last year I don't think there was significant snow above tree line on most peaks until what felt like mid winter (I think?). But... small sample size. It means nothing as this is a different year.

Either way, the monsoon will be over and weather should be more stable. I would rather negotiate some ice and snow (we're mountaineers!) than gamble with having to hunker down with a summer thunderstorm crackling and booming overhead.

As we move forward, keeping an eye on conditions with solid beta from Blanca/Alamosa locals and other climbers will be key. Also once we're on the mountain we'll have to assess for ourselves, naturally.

Fingers crossed!

Climb on,
Matt
“It is an honor and a privilege to be alive, however briefly, on this marvelous planet we call Earth.”
Ed Abbey

Postby SHmids » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:13 pm

Wish I had weekends off! I was eyeballing that beautiful traverse when I was on LB in April!

Postby runnerofmountain » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:04 am

I am extremely interested in making this traverse. How much gear do you need for this?? The LB- Blanca traverse is technical right? What kind of rack would you carry? I assume you would go pretty light, thin rack of cams and nuts, some alpine runners... Any beta???

Postby Woodie Hopper » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:09 pm

Technical gear would only be a hindrance in my opinion. You need perfect weather & conditions, steely nerves and good fitness. Nothing more. I think the crux is around 5.3 along the side of "Bivwacko Tower" near the start if you begin at LB.

It's a great traverse, but you need to treat this one with a lot of respect. I did all three from the valley about this time last year.

Good luck if you decide to give it a try. There are loads of good trip reports out there you can check out to get a better idea what it's all about.

Woodie