Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

FALL GATHERING - 1st Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial Climb

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: FALL GATHERING - 1st Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial Clim

Postby mjsherman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:04 pm

I am attending. Will try to carpool with BigTrout.
Probably climb both days.
Matt

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:02 am

I am considering attending. I would like to do Tour de Massive on Sunday (Oct. 6).
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby fahixson » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:15 am

Planning to attend. Camp Friday and give the East Ridge a try from South Elbert TH on Saturday. Might hang around for a while Saturday afternoon or even camp another night, but not planning on hiking Sunday. Room for 1 or 2 others if you'd like to carpool.

Postby larkinrx2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:31 am

SilverLynx wrote:I am considering attending. I would like to do Tour de Massive on Sunday (Oct. 6).

the tour is on my short list, that is if you dont mind a partner
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:39 pm

larkinrx2 wrote:
SilverLynx wrote:I am considering attending. I would like to do Tour de Massive on Sunday (Oct. 6).

the tour is on my short list, that is if you dont mind a partner

Company would be great! :)
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby CarpeDM » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:39 pm

I'll put this on the calendar, but will work on the exact schedule and hiking agenda a bit closer to the weekend. Most interested in some 13ers, but would definitely go up Elbert again by a non-standard route.

Britt, I'd be willing to talk about Steve.
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
"Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory And I ain't saying it ain't a fact. But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory And I don't like the sound of that.
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly. But I choose to let the mystery be" - Iris Dement

Postby globreal » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:36 pm

The Steve Gladbach Memorial FALL GATHERING is still ON for October 5-6. Many of us will be camping out Fri., Oct. 4 & Sat., Oct. 5 along Halfmoon Rd.
(I really hope the latest discussion on gatherings in wilderness areas don't dissuade people from coming out.)

Please note:
Mt. Elbert, South Elbert, Bull Hill mountain, and Halfmoon Road are NOT in the Mount Massive or Hunter-Fryingpan Wilderness areas. However, for those climbing Mt. Massive, Oklahoma, Deer Mnt. those peaks ARE in a wilderness area. Please keep your groups under 15 people. (See map below….dark green is wilderness, light green is national forest land.)

There are several un-official campsites on the north side of Halfmoon Rd and nearby Halfmoon Creek where we can have access to water for filtering, but they are south of and OUT OF the wilderness areas. Here are the directions to the Mt. Elbert trailhead's standard route (North Elbert) TH:

From U.S. 24 just south of Leadville, turn onto Colorado 300 and cross the railroad tracks. Drive 0.7 mile and turn left onto County Road 11 toward the Halfmoon Creek. After another 1.2 miles, turn right on the dirt road to Halfmoon Creek. Drive on the good dirt road (except for the usual washboard and potholes) for 5 miles to the Mt. Elbert trailhead on the left. There is a large parking area with restrooms.

Most of us will camp along Lake County Rd. 110/Halfmoon road prior to the Mt. Elbert TH (North Elbert) and prior to Emerald Lake and the Forest Service Campgrounds. I won't be able to get there until late Friday night. I hope someone can get there early and select a camp location with creek access and put up a sign or flag for the campsite.

There will be no need to dig "cat holes" at our campsite. I plan to bring a 5 gallon bucket with a Hefty trashbag liner to be utilized as a make-shift toilet…to Leave No Trace. I will bring a camp awning and a tarp to make a "privy-tent" for privacy. However again, I won't be there until late Friday night to set it up. I would also encourage others to do the same if they would like to have their own "privy closet" to avoid digging cat holes.

While this is a 14ers.com fall gathering, it is also the Steve Gladbach Memorial gathering. Nona Gladbach had a desire to establish some training events in honor of Steve, to help others learn mountaineer skills. A CMC (Colorado Mountain Club) fund has been established and therefore, there will be a hat passed at this gathering to accept donations to continue the funding of future mountaineering training classes and training videos, in honor of Steve. Just the other day there was a conference call held, and discussions had about these educational courses, and things are moving forward and more info about those trainings will be forthcoming. Please note, no person is obligated to give to the fund at the gathering.

I hope this social gathering can not only be a fun time as a climbing community but, also a great time remembering and reflecting on an wonderful member of this community. I will be bringing my video camera to capture a few short interviews with those who would like to say a few words about Steve. (Please come see me if you are willing to do this for Nona, Linda, and Alise Gladbach. It will be their video.)

Please note:
This gathering is not an official 14ers.com event and therefore 14ers.com is not responsible or liable in any way, shape or form.
There are no trip leaders or people in charge. Each person is responsible to study and know his/her own route, have their own map/compass/GPS, their 10 Essentials for survival, and have their head on straight…both on trail and at camp.

Please post for partners, questions, or concerns.

ONWARDS!
Attachments
HF-Wilderness-map_resize.jpg
Hunter-Fryingpan Wilderness boundary
HF-Wilderness-map_resize.jpg (47.19 KiB) Viewed 465 times
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:47 pm

We're looking forward to it. We'll arrive Friday night and hike Elbert Saturday.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby fahixson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:03 am

Anyone else thinking about East Ridge from the South Elbert TH?

Looking at TH conditions for South Elbert TH, seems like the upper 4WD TH isn't too rough, but parking may be limited. I've only been to the North Elbert TH so I don't know how limited South 4WD TH really is. Tentative plan is to drive up early Sat morning, hike via East Ridge route, and migrate around to visit/maybe camp with the main group Sat afternoon.

Room for 1-2 others if anyone wants a ride to/from Denver area and I'm flexible on the tentative plan.

Postby scottfarish » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:56 am

I'll be there. Looking forward to meeting everyone and celebrating Steve's life.

A couple of us are hiking the nearby Cent's (Casco and French) on Friday. Anyone else plan on getting there early who wants to hike Friday?

Postby globreal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:56 pm

A note to those planning on climbing Elbert on Saturday, Oct. 5th who would like to honor Steve on the summit, assuming good weather, we will aim to be on the summit from 11am-12pm. If you have one of those wallet photos of Steve, please bring it for the group photo. Other than that, at this time, nothing formal is planned for summit activities.

I would imagine that most reasonably strong climbers could climb to the summit in 3-4 hours. For those less speedy, they could plan to leave a bit earlier. The standard route/trail is well defined and so a predawn start should not be a problem.

After the climb on Saturday, we plan to sit around a campfire and socialize into the evening hours. Bring your camp chairs!

Does anyone have a portable bar-b-que grill they could bring where we cook up some burgers/brats or steaks??
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby MonGoose » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:20 pm

I plan on going as long as the weather forecast is reasonable.

PreviousNext