Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

FALL GATHERING - 1st Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial Climb

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: FALL GATHERING - 1st Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial Clim

Postby globreal » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Thanks Anna!

As noted in Anna's email. I plan on being at this.

I am looking at the possibility of climbing Mt. Elbert from Hwy 82, coming up and over Bull Hill to meet everyone on the summit. Anybody interested in joining me?

Sunday's peak…TBD.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby colokeith » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:12 pm

I am planning on attending this

Postby Scott P » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:27 pm

As globreal says, Echo Canyon is another viable route. Depending on group size, it may be a good idea to have as many choices as possible.

As long as group size isn't a problem, I'd be interested in Elbert Saturday and Dyer (13,855') Sunday.
Last edited by Scott P on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:28 pm

Britt, I'm planning on Elbert via Bull Hill. Would be good to hike with you again!

Postby Jon Frohlich » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:35 pm

I'm planning to attend as well. Don't know about something on Sunday yet but it's possible.

Postby Scotzman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:38 pm

I'm in! No preference as of now on route or Sunday options.
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.

Postby ameristrat » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:46 pm

I'd love to do Elbert via Bull Hill if you don't mind me tagging along. As for Sunday, I've been eyeing that French / Frasco / Casco route for a little while.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby nkan02 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:50 pm

I am interested in Bull Hill and Cosgriff. Oh, and I will need help finding the Black Cloud TH. I think I have already tried maybe 3 times to no avail. :oops: :lol:
Sunday - possibly Iowa Gulch 13ers (Gemini, Dyer, etc). Saving Lackawanna/ Oklahoma and Hope as ski descents :)

Postby GregMiller » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:56 pm

I'm in, I'd be interested in either SE Ridge, or via Bull Hill. Definitely interested in French/Frasco/Casco on Sunday.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby FCSquid » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:00 pm

nkan02 wrote:I am interested in Bull Hill and Cosgriff. Oh, and I will need help finding the Black Cloud TH. I think I have already tried maybe 3 times to no avail. :oops: :lol:
Sunday - possibly Iowa Gulch 13ers (Gemini, Dyer, etc). Saving Lackawanna/ Oklahoma and Hope as ski descents :)

The Black Cloud TH is about 100 yards before you get to the Mount Elbert Lodge (the cabins with the red roofs on the south side of 82). If you get to their parking lot, you've gone too far. Just turn around, drive east (very briefly), and you'll see a road drop down to the north side of 82 - basically it looks like a driveway. It's hard to spot, but if you know where it's supposed to be, you'll see it.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

Postby forbins_mtn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:00 pm

I really wish I could go. I've met so many great people from his site over t0he summer but I'm moving that weekend. Everyone be safe and have fun!
Last edited by forbins_mtn on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:03 pm

I am pretty much game for any of the suggested peaks. I have done all the ranked peaks in the area, but some of the unrankeds I have not, and could easily be talked into Black Cloud to go over "South Elbert" on the way, or as a quick "out and back" coming over Bull Hill with that group. Sunday is very open, and will just see who is doing what at camp Saturday night and tag along with some one's group.

nkan02: Black Cloud is marked, but with a very small wooden sign directly at the turnoff so its very easy to fly by at 50+MPH on CO 82 (I passed it when I climbed Bull Hill the first time). Its right before the small Mt Elbert Lodge and no more than 1/2 mile after the Twin Lakes CG when traveling from Twin Lakes. (Both are on the left, Black Cloud is on the right). When you get to Twin Lakes CG, start keeping your eyes peeled, if you pass it, turn around in the Mt Elbert Lodge parking lot and swing back around.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Next