Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Little Bear August 27th

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 12:11 pm
Location: Boulder

Re: Little Bear August 27th

Postby HikerGuy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:37 pm

Roald wrote:We'll be on that same bench Tuesday and wednesday. I will to talk you into doing LB with us when I see you. Don't overthink it, just try it. That's what we're doing. I'm tired of thinking about it.


:lol:, we'll see. Just in case, I will bring extra food, my helmet, and a rubber elbow. I wear a brown baseball cap and have a blue backpack and green 1-man REI tent. See you up there, Troy.

Posts: 374
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 11:54 am

Re: Little Bear August 27th

Postby uwe » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:14 am

Best of luck.
Will be interested in your beta if you plan on posting.
I am doing a trip the following week.

User avatar
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:41 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN and Palisade, CO

Re: Little Bear August 27th

Postby Roald » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:44 am

Tango2Hotel and HikerGuy - Thanks for great company and an excellent climb. It was a beautiful day on the summit of Little Bear yesterday.

For reference, we were very fortunate that the hourglass rope was replaced with a brand new one on Tuesday morning (8/27), less than 24 hours before our climb. It was in nearly perfect condition for us, with only one small nick in the sheath noted. That rope is critical, as personally I don't think our group of 4 would have made it without it. The water runoff is there, but overall wasn't too bad to deal with. Good luck and be safe!
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Re: Little Bear August 27th

Postby MonGoose » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:00 am

What color is the new rope? If it's orange, it was there the week prior.

User avatar
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:41 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN and Palisade, CO

Re: Little Bear August 27th

Postby Roald » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:07 am

Yeah, it was orange. We were told that the military guys that were there climbing this past Tuesday replaced it that morning. Sure looked new, but now I'm not so sure.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Re: Little Bear August 27th

Postby MonGoose » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:55 am

Here are my photos of the rope from 8/18. There was also a purple rope that didn't appear to be in very good shape.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=14159
Last edited by MonGoose on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:40 am
Location: 16.85mi S. of Colorado

Re: Little Bear August 27th

Postby altidude » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:55 am

The orange rope was there last Sunday 8/25. Looked fairly new and in decent shape, as did the anchor. The blue/purple rope tied to the end of the orange rope is in bad shape.

Obviously, use them at your own risk.
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana

User avatar
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: San Jose

Re: Little Bear August 27th

Postby TheOtherIndian » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:33 am

For the non facebook folk, someone named Travis Hogan posted this on the FB group

The rope up the hourglass on little bear is bran spanking new, anchored well, and installed by your US army! Happy climbing and remember, safety has no holiday!
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

User avatar
Posts: 1758
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:26 pm
Location: New York

Re: Little Bear August 27th

Postby nyker » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:07 am

TheOtherIndian wrote:For the non facebook folk, someone named Travis Hogan posted this on the FB group

The rope up the hourglass on little bear is bran spanking new, anchored well, and installed by your US army! Happy climbing and remember, safety has no holiday!


That's pretty cool - wonder if they were part of the Special Forces Group I ran into on Ellingwood last year...

User avatar
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:25 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Little Bear August 27th

Postby cbrobin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Congratulations on a successful climb. The rope helps. I finally got my trip report up. Enjoy. Errors?

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=14219&parmuser=cbrobin&cpgm=tripuser
More Colorado than the Natives.

User avatar
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:41 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN and Palisade, CO

Re: Little Bear August 27th

Postby Roald » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:02 pm

nyker wrote:
TheOtherIndian wrote:For the non facebook folk, someone named Travis Hogan posted this on the FB group

The rope up the hourglass on little bear is bran spanking new, anchored well, and installed by your US army! Happy climbing and remember, safety has no holiday!


That's pretty cool - wonder if they were part of the Special Forces Group I ran into on Ellingwood last year...


Possibly, they seemed to be pretty familiar with the area. They all took ATVs up to the lake, then split up into two groups. One group took the standard route up Little Bear and did the traverse to Blanca. The other group took the ridge all the way from the lake to Ellingwood, then crossed over to Blanca.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

User avatar
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 8:57 am
Location: Vail, Co

Re: Little Bear August 27th

Postby jdegling » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:42 pm

altidude wrote:The orange rope was there last Sunday 8/25. Looked fairly new and in decent shape, as did the anchor. The blue/purple rope tied to the end of the orange rope is in bad shape.

Obviously, use them at your own risk.


Good advice Dude. Please abide - as of 8/29 there is a already a fray in the bright orange rope roughly 90 feet from the anchor. Lacking rope knowledge or vocabulary whatsoever, I would describe it as a nick it in the outer sheath with core barely visible but intact. Brief heavy rain/graupel on the 28th resulted in conditions much wetter than those shown in the excellent recent trip reports. Assuming there is no such thing as a "small" fray in a rope similar to a small hole in a condom, be extra careful on this busy weekend.
"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 14erAddict, DoctorBreaks, mjsherman, mkrier and 4 guests