Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Little Bear August 27th

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Little Bear August 27th

Postby MonGoose » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Roald wrote:Mongoose - any more specifics on the best sites up there? Past the lake, before the lake, etc? Thanks for the beta on the road noise.

Not many options before the lake. About 3/4 of the lake is vehicle accessible, so camp on the southeast corner to get away from the road. You can also hike past Lake Como, up towards Blue Lakes and be able to get away from people.

Don't forget to take a fishing rod, lots of brookies in Lake Como.

Postby highpilgrim » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:33 pm

Roald wrote:any more specifics on the best sites up there? Past the lake, before the lake, etc? Thanks for the beta on the road noise.

I've been in the basin quite a few times and am convinced the best camping is above the lake adjacent to the trail up Little Bear. There are open glades in that area among gigantic boulders that make for fun bouldering problems.

In addition, you're above the lake where much of the traffic seems to congregate and most importantly, you get above many of the mosquito problems. There's less breeding areas up higher and more wind which seems to knock them down some. It is a little colder there tho.

You also get a jump from there on anyone camping below so you're up and down the mountain(s) before it gets busy. Very important on LB at least.

Anywhere up and to the left of the area where the initial cairn up the gulley to LB has a number of great spots in there. Some very sheltered and intimate ones in there that are awesome.

Have fun.

little bear aerial.JPG
little bear aerial.JPG (301.42 KiB) Viewed 274 times

camp.jpg
camp.jpg (286.46 KiB) Viewed 259 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby Tango2Hotel » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Thanks for those killer camp sites. I did the Blance/ellingwood combo last year and agree those are the best sites by far!
Last edited by Tango2Hotel on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby globreal » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:10 pm

Tango2Hotel wrote:Anybody else having trouble sending PMS on the site?

Yup….I've never been able to send someone PMS through any website. :-D
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet My unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor My covenant of peace be removed," says the Lord, who has compassion on you. (Isaiah 54:10)

Postby Roald » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:17 pm

Tango2Hotel wrote:Anybody else having trouble sending PMS on the site? I am still a go and the weather report looks favorable. The plan has not changed and I am still a go! Promise I am not being Rude!

Thanks for those killer camp sites. I did the Blance/ellingwood combo last year and agree those are the best sites by far!

You still planning to go in Tuesday and LB on Wednesday? That actually works better for me, so I'm in. Agree that weather looks good right now.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Postby GeezerClimber » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:09 am

Something came up and I can't make it next week. Hope you guys can get together. Be safe and have fun.

Dave

Postby waltoncito » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:04 am

Sorry, are any of you planning on a climbing LB on the 28th? I changed my work schedule to arrive at Lake Como on Wednesday and climb LB on Thursday. Please let me know.

Postby HikerGuy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:11 pm

My plan had been to just hike Blanca and Ellingwood next week, but it seems silly to pack up Como Road and not give Little Bear a go. Weather is looking very good. I won't hike LB alone either (could lead to a divorce). Not sure if I can leave on Monday or Tuesday. Plan is to do B/E either Tue/Wed and LB Wed/Thu.

Postby Roald » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:24 pm

HikerGuy wrote:My plan had been to just hike Blanca and Ellingwood next week, but it seems silly to pack up Como Road and not give Little Bear a go. Weather is looking very good. I won't hike LB alone either (could lead to a divorce). Not sure if I can leave on Monday or Tuesday. Plan is to do B/E either Tue/Wed and LB Wed/Thu.

HikerGuy - Tango and I are planning to pack in Tuesday, do LB on Wednesday, then I'll be doing B/E on Thu. If you can reverse your order, I'll do all 3 with you. Personally, I was trying to do LB with fresher legs.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Postby waltoncito » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:43 pm

HikerGuy wrote:My plan had been to just hike Blanca and Ellingwood next week, but it seems silly to pack up Como Road and not give Little Bear a go. Weather is looking very good. I won't hike LB alone either (could lead to a divorce). Not sure if I can leave on Monday or Tuesday. Plan is to do B/E either Tue/Wed and LB Wed/Thu.

Let me know if you want to do LB on Thursday, I am still looking for a partner

Postby HikerGuy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:03 am

Gentlemen, I am out for Little Bear, timing does not seem right. I'm probably over thinking it, psyching myself out, but I am going to put this one off for a spring snow climb. I'll still be up there for Blanca/Ellingwood on Wednesday, camping on the bench above Lake Como.

Postby Roald » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:09 am

We'll be on that same bench Tuesday and wednesday. I will to talk you into doing LB with us when I see you. Don't overthink it, just try it. That's what we're doing. I'm tired of thinking about it.

PreviousNext