Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Little Bear August 27th

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Little Bear August 27th

Postby Tango2Hotel » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:02 am

Looking for a Climbing Partner for an ascent of Little Bear. I have 36 summits and am looking for one more(this time)! I have several class 4 mountains under my belt and have done the other peaks up the beloved Lake como road. I am looking at heading in on Tuesday, August 27th, camping, Summiting the following day, and out that day or the following. I am in the Denver area. PM If interested please.

Thanks and remember…Safety has no Holiday!

Re: Little Bear August 27th

Postby Roald » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:07 pm

Might be interested, but its still a little too far out. Please update as that week gets closer and we'll see how the schedule looks.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Postby cbrobin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:37 pm

I am definitely interested. Mid week sounds great.
More Colorado than the Natives.

Postby uncle_big_green » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:48 am

I'm a desk jockey, so I can only do weekends. It sounds like you may already have a partner, but if not, then let me know. Class 4 scares me, but class 5 doesn't. I have (34) 14ers so far and I hike fast enough. If the weekday stuff doesn't work, then let me know.

Postby SpringsHiker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:24 am

This timing looks good and I would like to do this mid-week, so I am interested. Will send a PM.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"

Postby cbrobin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:41 pm

I did the Blanca Group Monday and Tuesday so I'm out. Enjoy the hike.
More Colorado than the Natives.

Postby Roald » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:31 pm

Anyone still considering this next week? I'm open for anything next week, but am thinking about tackling Little Bear because I'm tired of thinking about it. Can go any day during the week next week.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Postby GeezerClimber » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:28 pm

If the weather cooperates, I could be up for it. See my profile for experience. I'm 62. My climbing rate on class 1/2 stuff runs 1400-1600 ft./hour. I don't mind going slower though. I do require that partners stay within sight/sound. Let me know if I might be a good fit.

Dave

Postby Roald » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:23 pm

GeezerClimber wrote:If the weather cooperates, I could be up for it. See my profile for experience. I'm 62. My climbing rate on class 1/2 stuff runs 1400-1600 ft./hour. I don't mind going slower though. I do require that partners stay within sight/sound. Let me know if I might be a good fit.

Dave

Sounds good to me. I've climbed plenty, but am average speed at best. I'll likely camp at Lake Como on Monday and Tuesday, since I also need Blanca and Ellingwood. I can do LB on either 8/27 or 8/28. Let see how things shake out weather-wise by the end of this week.
chrismjx wrote:

Postby waltoncito » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:07 pm

I am pretty committed to doing this group next week (I also can't stop thinking about LB), but can't leave Boulder area until Wed. night. I am thinking of doing LB on Friday, Aug. 29th but will not do it alone and I am not going to drag any of my friends into this one. Anyone up for a early climb on Friday of LB? I will camp at Lake Como on Thursday then get up very early on Friday. Do you guys think there will be too many people on the Hourglass route on Friday before a big holiday weekend?

Postby MonGoose » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:22 pm

waltoncito wrote:... Do you guys think there will be too many people on the Hourglass route on Friday before a big holiday weekend?

Maybe, maybe not. There will certainly be a ton of people at the lake, many of whom will climb Blanca and Ellingwood. Speth and I climbed Little Bear this past Saturday. We left Lake Como at 3:45am, spent an hour in the gully and one hour traversing the ridge to arrive at the base of the Hourglass at 5:45am, just as it started to get light. There was one person behind us so we waited a few minutes for him to catch up and the three of us summitted together. We spent about 30 minutes on the summit and did not see another person until we were descending the Hourglass. Total, there were 8 people on the mountain that day. The guys camped next to us had climbed LB the day before (Friday) and said they were the only ones up there.

Also, when you camp at Lake Como, get as far away from the road as you can as jeeps will come cruising in and out all night long. I was awakened at 11:00pm, 12:15am and 2:45am to the site of KC lights, loud music and people shouting at each other on Friday night .

Good Luck!

Postby Roald » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:27 pm

waltoncito wrote:I am pretty committed to doing this group next week (I also can't stop thinking about LB), but can't leave Boulder area until Wed. night. I am thinking of doing LB on Friday, Aug. 29th but will not do it alone and I am not going to drag any of my friends into this one. Anyone up for a early climb on Friday of LB? I will camp at Lake Como on Thursday then get up very early on Friday. Do you guys think there will be too many people on the Hourglass route on Friday before a big holiday weekend?

I could change things around to go on Friday, instead of Tuesday or Wednesday. Good question about Friday crowds. Would probably be ok on Friday, but no way on Saturday. In fact, I'd probably do B/E on Thursday just so I could pack out of Lake Como on Friday before half of Denver shows up that afternoon.

Mongoose - any more specifics on the best sites up there? Past the lake, before the lake, etc? Thanks for the beta on the road noise.
chrismjx wrote:

Next