Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Gannett Aug 2 - 4

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Gannett Aug 2 - 4

Postby maverick_manley » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:29 pm

I'm hoping to get up to WY in the next couple weekends or so (July 19 - 21 and Aug 2 - 4). For the first weekend I wanted to attempt the upper exum (5.5) on the Grand and something 4th class on the Middle Teton. I would drive up Thurs (7/18) night or early Friday AM, hike in, camp and attempt a peak each day. Was thinking of taking a 70m and a light rack for the Grand. The plan isn't set in stone so let me know if you'd prefer a different plan of attack / different peaks altogether. I'd be up for trying to climb them in day-trips from the TH as well. I'm pretty open and just want to do something with my long-ish weekend. An alternate plan is to hit something in the Weimenuche - Jagged, etc. or Elks.

I'm also contemplating an attempt on Gannett Aug 2 - 4 if I can find partners. I've had partners drop out on both these trips, unfortunately due to injuries and other life issues but I see it as an opportunity to climb with new folks. PM me to discuss further if interested. I've some TRs on my profile if you'd like to get a feel for my level of experience. Thanks.

Prakash
Last edited by maverick_manley on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Brain Stops at Treeline but my Soles will Summit

Re: Wyoming Climbs - Jul 19 - 21 and Aug 2 - 4

Postby phillinley » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:19 pm

I had been looking for Gannett Peak partners as well in the spring for those dates but nothing materialized. I do have a group of three that is climbing the Washakie Needles (the Hot Springs County high point in Wyoming) on the 1st and 2nd of August that you would be welcome to join if you don't get a Gannett team. It has two pitches requiring rope of low fifth class for the last 100 vertical and would be an overnight climb.

Postby maverick_manley » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:55 pm

maverick_manley wrote:
I'm also contemplating an attempt on Gannett Aug 2 - 4 if I can find partners. I've had partners drop out on both these trips, unfortunately due to injuries and other life issues but I see it as an opportunity to climb with new folks. PM me to discuss further if interested. I've some TRs on my profile if you'd like to get a feel for my level of experience. Thanks.

Prakash

Bump... I am still looking for partners for Gannett for the Aug 2 - 4 weekend. Will likely drive out from Lafayette early on Friday (Aug 2nd) morning and return late Sunday night. Phil, thanks for the invite. The Needles look great. I'd love to get at them some time but for now I can't swing thursday off.

Postby spiderman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:48 am

Hi Prakash, I am leading a slow-paced group up from Glacier Trail starting on July 31st. I have one other experienced adult climber, my bad-ass son, and five others in the group. A 16-year old young lady in the group will be finishing her 48th state highpoint on the climb.

I assume from your ambitious schedule that you are heading in from Elkhart and going up through Titcomb Basin. We both should be converging on the peak on Saturday, August 3rd... let me know if there is any interest in coordinating any aspect of the summit day if you do indeed go then.

Postby maverick_manley » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:57 am

spiderman wrote:Hi Prakash, I am leading a slow-paced group up from Glacier Trail starting on July 31st. I have one other experienced adult climber, my bad-ass son, and five others in the group. A 16-year old young lady in the group will be finishing her 48th state highpoint on the climb.

I assume from your ambitious schedule that you are heading in from Elkhart and going up through Titcomb Basin. We both should be converging on the peak on Saturday, August 3rd... let me know if there is any interest in coordinating any aspect of the summit day if you do indeed go then.

Hey Spidey, yes, I was planning to do the Elkhart loop. I still haven't figured out partners for that weekend. However I would mainly just want to find someone to rope up with on the upper mountain and wouldn't be against soloing the approach. Where would you guys camp on Friday night and what route would you be taking on the upper mountain? From a quick look at previous reports Titcomb basin (Friday night) seems like my best bet, logistically. I don't imagine the glacier trail would bring you around there though. Hiking over and down into Dinwoody glacier to set up camp doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for my chosen route. Is that where you guys might camp for your last night before the summit attempt?

Please pm me if you're still interested in meeting up. We could see if there's a way to co-ordinate gear / meetup times. Thanks for the response.

Prakash

Postby maverick_manley » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:35 am

Bump... thought I'd give this one more shot. Let me know if interested in the Gannett portion of the itinerary. Thanks!

Postby ulvetano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:26 pm

Wish I had seen your original post and would have tried to get you to swap weekends. I'll be in Jackson this weekend and next and am in the same boat looking for partners for some climbing. (not to hijack...but if anyone is game for climbing Aug 2nd or 3rd, or Aug 9th, shoot me a note!). Great TR of the Upper Exum by the way! That's what I would like to do this weekend after having done the OS the year before last.

Gannett Aug 2 - 4

Postby maverick_manley » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:14 pm

Thought I would bump this one last time to see if there are any takers for Gannett. Plan is to head out tomorrow night after work and begin the approach early Friday morning. Thanks.