Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Walking Across America! Help needed

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Walking Across America! Help needed

Postby slevin88 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Hey everyone,

My name is Ben Lee and Im from Melbourne Australia. On May 18th I began a walk across America to raise money for Oxfam, a charity that fights against poverty and injustice. I am currently in Delta, Utah and up to this point I have been walking with a walking partner but she has just decided she has had enough and has returned home leaving to continue on solo. I never wanted to do this solo though and wouldn't have attempted this if I knew I would be alone for this length of time. I realize the chances of finding someone willing to spend so much time to just walk is minimal but I'll try anyway. From here, I plan to head east (exact route not set In stone yet). Even if you cant walk the whole way then maybe you could just walk part of the way with me and be a part of this adventure. For those interested, here is my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/10MillionSteps

I could use some help with my route as well. Currently I want to head north to escape the heat and was thinking of taking the 40 across to Colorado and then from Steamboat Springs, head north towards Cheyenne, Wyoming. I havnt had too much time at the moment to look at the details but this is the route that google maps suggested if walking from delta to new York. But please, if you have an idea of this route, tell me about it or let me know if theres something better. I am pushing a cart with all my stuff so I would like to stick to roads as much as possible but preferably lesser used roads. Elevation is also a big thing I would like to avoid if possible. Going over the Sierra Nevadas was hard enough so id like to stay as flat as possible.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me
Ben

Re: Walking Across America! Help needed

Postby Tim Jordan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

A guy named Aaron Huey did the same thing several years ago with his dog. I think he has a website and probably could give you some info on the the route, etc.

Postby Dex » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby KizH » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Hey, Ben-

Another suggestion would be to google the Adventure Cycling website. They develop
and sell maps of cross-country cycling routes that include tips for campgrounds,
restaurants, grocery stores and motels. Since the routes are for cyclists, they're
(98%?) paved.

Sometimes used maps are available on Craigslist.

Here are some additional sites where you might find more information or contacts:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evan/adventure-access-trail-walking-boston-to-san-franc

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?47396-American-Discovery-Trail-walk-across-America

Postby Hungry Jack » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:24 am

Dex, those are great reads, but they are really dated.

For the OP, you can avoid the high Rockies by following Interstate 80. I would guess you are doing about 15 miles per day, which might put you in the plains by mid-august. Note that the plains can be a cauldron in summer, and going north might not make much of a difference.

Postby Dex » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:34 am

Hungry Jack wrote:

I'm old(er) - they are inspirational. Most such travel books get dated quickly.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Kojones » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:26 am

I'd be willing to walk with you when in Colorado for a portion. Just depends on the timing. Keep us updated!

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby jasonmiller » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:44 am

How about some info on Oxfam, and how they fight against "poverty and injustice"

Just curious.

J
"It does not matter how slow you go, as long as you don't stop."

Postby Hungry Jack » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:35 am

Dex wrote:
Hungry Jack wrote:

They are inspirational and timeless in terms of their observations of the human condition. Least Heat Moon's pithy commentaries are priceless (I have read all of his published works), and I will never forget Peter Jenkins and his dog, Cooper. Poor guy.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby JEyez » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:53 am

jasonmiller wrote:How about some info on Oxfam, and how they fight against "poverty and injustice"

Just curious.

J

http://www.oxfam.org
"Damn right I like the life I live, 'cause I went from negative to positive." - The Black Frank White

"There is only one day left, always starting over: it is given to us at dawn and taken away from us at dusk." - Jean-Paul Sartre

http://www.hedrickdata.com/livinthedream

Jeremy Isenhart

Postby Dex » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:46 am

Hungry Jack wrote:
Dex wrote:
Hungry Jack wrote:

They are inspirational and timeless in terms of their observations of the human condition. Least Heat Moon's pithy commentaries are priceless (I have read all of his published works), and I will never forget Peter Jenkins and his dog, Cooper. Poor guy.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/books/news/story/2012-07-23/peter-jenkins-a-walk-across-america/56441122/1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Jenkins_%28travel_author%29

I read the 2 Walk books and didn't know he continued to write.

I tried another Moon book but didn't like it as much as Blue Highways.

I think the first is usually the best - there is the risk, unknown and openness to them.
Montani Semper Liberi

Postby Hungry Jack » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:21 am

Dex wrote:http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/books/news/story/2012-07-23/peter-jenkins-a-walk-across-america/56441122/1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Jenkins_%28travel_author%29

I read the 2 Walk books and didn't know he continued to write.

I tried another Moon book but didn't like it as much as Blue Highways.

I think the first is usually the best - there is the risk, unknown and openness to them.

I thought Moon's River Horse and Prairy Erth were both pretty worthy.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Next