Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tour de Abyss Tuesday (7/9)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Tour de Abyss Tuesday (7/9)

Postby crazymarmot » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:29 pm

Looking for a climbing partner for Tour de Abyss (Bierstadt - East Ridge, Sawtooth, Evans) on Tuesday (7/9), of course weather permitting. I've had this route on my bucket list for some time now. Let me know though here or PM if anyone is interested!
Mike

Re: Tour de Abyss Tuesday (7/9)

Postby Cruiser » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:43 pm

My buddy was up there for the tour last Sunday and had a blast. He said that the snow on the sawtooth was no big deal and that neither he nor his partner used any traction aids. It may already be melted out anyway since it as been pretty warm up there. He said, and I totally agree, that it's a long day with a lot of vert and plenty of time spent above treeline. Start crazy early, be super cognizant of weather, and have fun. That's a heck of a good way to spend a day!
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby thebeave7 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:28 am

I was up at Abyss Lake yesterday (did Evans/Bierstadt from Guanella last) and snow is a non-issue. Route is clear, the trail up to Abyss Lake is a bit hard to follow at times due to downed trees and the fact that it turns into a river just below Abyss Lake (if you're walking in a river bed, just keep going). Beautiful area up there, enjoy.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby crazymarmot » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:35 am

Thanks Guys!
I definitely want to start as early as possible, I just have to figure out how soon I can get on the Summit Road (aka when the fee station opens :roll: ). So far I have found one person going up with me. If anybody is still interested let me know.

Postby Shattuck311 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:01 am

I did the tour yesterday. We got past the pay station around 5:45AM, and there was no one there. Gates were still open though. Free trip :)

Postby katmaibear » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:12 am

I did the tour yesterday as well. We left the Morrison Dino parking area about 5:30 and gates were open with no attendant present when we passed through. Awesome loop! Enjoy..steve

Postby Mike Cormier » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:21 am

I did the Tour on the 4th and really enjoyed it. I didn't see a single soul on the East Ridge of Bierstadt until I was at the summit. What a gem of a route.....with good rock. I believe the gate is open 24/7.