Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Denver Happy Hour (July 11)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Denver Happy Hour (July 11)

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:22 pm

We'll have a donation jar for anyone wanting to contribute to the funds being set up in memory of Steve Gladbach.

Please note that this Happy Hour is NOT on the first Thursday of the month, as usual, because I doubt anyone would show up on the Fourth of July. I chose this location because we haven't been to Cap Hill in a while, the beer selection is decent, it's relatively accessible from I-25 (Lincoln or Downing exits) and I know there's a large side room with its own bar that we can more or less take over. This section also has a patio with plenty of standing room.

WHAT: Denver 14ers Happy Hour - July
WHEN: 6-10 p.m. Thursday, July 11
WHERE: Govnr's Park Tavern, 672 Logan Street (7th and Logan)

There's a two-for-one happy hour until 7 p.m. and it starts again at 9 p.m., so this place should be easier on the wallet than some of our recent venues.

Walk in, take a left. You'll see us.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Re: Denver Happy Hour (July 11)

Postby taylorzs » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Ha, I live a few blocks away. I guess I have to show up to this one~!
Last edited by taylorzs on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com

Postby IkeB » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Gonna try to make this one

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:29 pm

I've been going to Gov's for decades; never spectacular, but always steady and friendly and one of the better social places we will see. It'll be good to get back.

edit - next time I'm in the neighborhood... I am going to get high starting that day, as well.
Last edited by wildlobo71 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:29 pm

Nope! Climbing. :P

*Edit: To clarify, I'll be heading to Durango on July 11 to climb in Chicago Basin. Won't return until July 15. If you decide to move the HH to a different date for whatever reason, I could go. I just wanted to let the general public know that I can't attend on the 11th in case you were expecting to see me. My summers are usually full of other activities.

-Jenny
Last edited by SilverLynx on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby kushrocks » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:43 pm

Definitely plan on making this one. I hope to see you all there.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby zdero1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Crap. I'll be in Cali. Can you guys just come over to Big Sur and join me for HH? I look forward to being at the next one. Looks like I'll be pulling a kushrocks this month :/

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:04 pm

SilverLynx wrote:Nope! Climbing. :P

Well, it beats your normal monthly post of "maybe."
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby kansas » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:38 am

Quite a few of HH regulars will be headed to Durango that evening. You really should Ok these dates with me first.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby ameristrat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:34 am

I wouldn't be opposed to moving it to the 18th... but I'll be there either way.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby HULKHIKEGOOD » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:39 am

Excellent! One I maybe able to make! I will be on the tailend of my trip and this would be a great finish to it! Hopefully it can happen! Be sure to save me a large spot, tell them to widen the doors as well!
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."- Philippians 4:13

Postby Exiled Michigander » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:17 pm

You do know that Barry Manilow is performing at Red Rocks that evening, don't you? Where are your priorities????

Next