Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Culebra on July 7th

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Culebra on July 7th

Postby Gphunk88 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:33 pm

Thank you much!
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."~~~ John Muir

Postby Mike Cormier » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:40 pm

I did this hike on June 29. With respect to the vehicle questions: the road to 4-way is in good shape, but it's on the steep side. I used the 4 wheel drive on my Ranger. I wouldn't recommend taking a Charger up the road. You'll be spinning your wheels and probably bottom out in some spots. Not saying it's impossible, but imprudent in my opiniion. When I was there, everyone drove up to the upper trailhead (a mile beyond 4-way) with no problem.

I slept in the back of my truck, at the gate. Others were able to tent-camp just inside the gate - nice flat smooth ground, complete with a port-a-john. The ranch manager, Sam, couldn't have been nicer. Just play by the rules and nobody gets hurt.....

Postby Gphunk88 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Just wanted to give a quick shout out to anyone doing this climb tomorrow. I will be in a white ford ranger with my girlfriend. I look forward to meeting some you guys who had been talking about climbing on this day. Lets hope the weather doesn't go south on us too early tomorrow...
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."~~~ John Muir

Postby Bullwinkle » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:11 pm

I was in the group last Saturday, and was plesantly surprised by the organization and kindness of the staff there--even snacks and drinks at the end. This is dispersed Class 2 climbing. Though a short day ( back at HQ by noon), the talus work above 13k and the underfoot conditions are nonetheless a good workout. The forum guides climbers left of the gully, but it would be a bit easier to ascend the rib right of the gully to the saddle.

Previous