Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Pigeon/Turret Peaks also Jagged Peak

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Pigeon/Turret Peaks also Jagged Peak

Postby sue personett » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi all, I'm looking for climbing partners for Pigeon/Turret Peaks for any time after June 21. We can go via the train to Ruby Creek or North Pigeon Creek. I was up to Ruby Creek last year and was thinking about going by way of North Pigeon Creek this year but I am flexible. I'm also headed up to Jagged Peak sometime this summer and need a climbing partner who can lead. I can definitely follow. I will not be able to hike/climb between July 6-13 as I am headed for Mt. Whitney during that time. Contact me here or PM me or call me at 719 659-1649 if you are seriously interested in backpacking trips to these peaks this summer.
Namaste
Sue

Re: Pigeon/Turret Peaks also Jagged Peak

Postby boudreaux » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:16 pm

Sue, good luck on your Whitney climb! Jagged sounds interesting! How many days do you need to climb that? Are you planning more than 1 trip out there or an extended trip to get all the SJ peaks on your list?
Ragin Cajun

Postby sue personett » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Dear Beau,
I guess I'm going to need at least 5 days to get Jagged. I still don't have any partners for that climb or for Pigeon/Turret. Do you need any of those? I'll probably do multiple trips to Durango and ride the train. I also want to get Hesperus while I'm down there on one of the trips. Do you know anyone who needs Pigeon and Turret? I can do those two but I don't want to do them alone. I'll need someone to lead on Jagged but I might use a guide for Jagged if I can't find any partners.
Namaste
Sue

Postby Garrett » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:20 pm

You may also post up on Mountain Project for a partner. Its more climbing oriented but there certainly are some people there that might be interested in doing Jagged.

Postby Marmot72 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:17 am

Sue,

I have all three of those on my "to do" for this year as well. I can't lead climb, so I'm no help to you on Jagged unless I find someone to lead, but Pigeon and Turret represent no problem. July for me is already packed and I am looking at August or September.

-Steve

Postby boudreaux » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:45 am

Sue, I need all of those, but I won't be able to get 5 days off til probably mid August when the monsoons are hammering the SJ's
Ragin Cajun

Postby Kiefer » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:44 pm

Sue,
I'll be down on Pigeon & Turret (and others) in August. Probably from the 12th to the 15th.
I plan on hiking in from Purgatorie.

No plans for Jagged though...unless I can find partners for Gray Needle.
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby sue personett » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:10 pm

So it looks like I need to decide who to hike these two peaks with and when. I'm very flexible with my climbing schedule. I'll be back from Mt. Whitney on and around July 13th and I'm wide open after that until Labor Day. Then I'm wide open after that too. August sounds good. Beau, it rains down there all the time in the afternoon anyway so don't let the monsoons worry you. I'd like to hike with Beau, and Kiefer and Steve and doesn't Jon Frohlich need some of these peaks too? I can be reached here or you can PM me and my phone number is 719 659-1649.
Namaste
Sue

Postby Kiefer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:34 pm

sue personett wrote:So it looks like I need to decide who to hike these two peaks with and when. I'm very flexible with my climbing schedule. I'll be back from Mt. Whitney on and around July 13th and I'm wide open after that until Labor Day. Then I'm wide open after that too. August sounds good. Beau, it rains down there all the time in the afternoon anyway so don't let the monsoons worry you. I'd like to hike with Beau, and Kiefer and Steve and doesn't Jon Frohlich need some of these peaks too? I can be reached here or you can PM me and my phone number is 719 659-1649.
Namaste
Sue

Sue.
We're (John, Britt, myself + others) are going in over Labour Day Weekend.
Britt and I will be finishing the cents together. Pigeon & Turret are on the radar.
Not too sure how Jagged will fit in. If I can get the extra time off, I can hoof it over
Sunlight Pass and meet you down in No Name Basin at the turn off. I wouldn't mind repeating
Jagged. Cool mountain.
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby Richard Larsen » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi, Sue - good luck on getting partners - appears there will be options. Since we did Dallas and Thunder Pyramid and Teakettle together, you know you are at least as fast as I am, maybe a bit faster.
When I did Jagged with Mike and Matt last summer, I went in on train from Silverton to camp at base of NoName (junction with Animas) on day 1. Up to high camp at 11,600 on day 2. Summit Jagged, and back to base of NoName on day 3. Out on train to Silverton on day 4. Day 3 was admittedly a very long day for me. I think your proposed 5-day block gives you an extra day - which is not a bad idea, in case you get weather.
You know my preference for Pigeon / Turret - North Pigeon Creek! I can resend you gps points for a route to high camp there. Go in on the train from Durango, and get to high camp at the base of Pigeon on day 1. Took me 5 hours from river to camp at 11,800, but all the trip reports I read from others are much faster. (They, of course, are not on Medicare, and I am!) I could not then do Pigeon and Turret and back in time for the train all on day 2 - would do one or both peaks on day 2, then residual peak (if needed) and out on day 3. If the weather cooperates, you can do that schedule.
Again, good luck on the peaks, and on Whitney.
Rich