Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cordillera Blanca

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Cordillera Blanca

Postby MyFeetHurt » Sun May 12, 2013 8:43 pm

So I'd like to head down there this July for a week or two or three, and bag a few peaks. However, I really dont feel like hiring a guide unless it's quite cheap. I'd rather find a partner I know ahead of time who can put up with my extreme sarcasm and political incorrectness, and climb a few peaks in the process. Even better if they have been there before or have glacier experience, as I unfortunately do not (yet). I can speak mediocre spanish, been to Argentina a few times, and been at high altitude just fine. Some peaks that interest me range from Copa (easy) to Artesonraju or maybe even Alpamayo (probably most technical that I would want to attempt for this trip.) My main goal is just to enjoy some pretty snowy summits and swing the ice axe or tools at least once in a while to get there, nothing crazy. Anyone? Bueller?

Re: Cordillera Blanca

Postby Scott P » Mon May 13, 2013 7:15 am

Even better if they have been there before or have glacier experience, as I unfortunately do not (yet).

If you don't have glacier experience, you really should have a guide for something like Artesonraju or Alpamayo. This is just a friendly opinion rather than meant to be a chastisement/debate.

The good news is however, that there are peaks down there that can be done with snow climbing, but without much glacier experience. Just not ones such as Artesonraju or Alpamayo.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.