Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Longs Peak June 23rd via Keyhole route

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Longs Peak June 23rd via Keyhole route

Postby estheradler » Thu May 09, 2013 12:18 pm

I'm coming to Colorado late June and would like to get in at least 2 climbs. This time round I'm thinking Mt. Evans June 20th or 21st then Longs Peak June 22nd or 23rd. I don't want to climb either alone but especially Longs, given all that I read about the Keyhole and onward. I've scrambled up the Mountaineers route on Whitney, done several other 14ners but still consider myself an advanced beginner/intermediate.

I'll be staying at my friend in Boulder so will be relatively close by. Let me know if you have any interest in any of those peaks.

Re: Longs Peak June 23rd via Keyhole route

Postby peter303 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:55 pm

At least 50% chance it is still ice-technical at that time. That means you should have an ice axes and microspikes. The average non-technical data is in July and this was an average snow year.

Postby estheradler » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:41 am

Ok. Thank you Peter. I'll be bringing all the gear then.

Postby GK46 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:22 am

I'm heading to CO after work tonight and looking to do Princeton, Yale, Massive, Elbert, and Sherman over the next week with a friend. We were originally planning to hike Long's early tomorrow morning but decided to delay due to conditions. We're heading back to NE sometime on June 23rd, depending on our legs and how conditions progress on Long's we may be interested in joining you early on the 23rd. We'll have micro-spikes and ice axes along regardless. Any idea on when you're hitting the trail?

Postby chrismjx » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:35 pm

I am blessed with an unobstructed view of Long's from my place in N Denver, and there is clearly still snow on the route, at least the NE facing parts. Not a lot, and I've noticed it steadily decreasing over the last couple weeks, but I doubt that it will be ice-free.

Postby somethingrandom » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:20 pm

Always a good rule of thumb if you can see snow on Longs from the front, there is ice on the back. We were lucky enough to do it June 24th last year, nearly snow free, and I have been told that is nearly unheard of. I for one would not want to be on a few parts of the trough or homestretch with snow/ice as a factor, but still your call.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby peter303 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:55 pm

somethingrandom wrote:Always a good rule of thumb if you can see snow on Longs from the front, there is ice on the back. We were lucky enough to do it June 24th last year, nearly snow free, and I have been told that is nearly unheard of. I for one would not want to be on a few parts of the trough or homestretch with snow/ice as a factor, but still your call.

Last year was a 50% snowfall year, so early non-iece climbs were possible. This year is an average 100% year so the transition is likely to be in July. Two years ago was a 150% snowfall year. It was said the snow never completely melted on parts of the Loft route ( a different Longs route than the Keyhole ).