Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Spring Gathering Location & Thread - SHAV/TAB

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: New Spring Gathering Location & Thread - SHAV/TAB

Postby Vincopotamus » Thu May 09, 2013 11:25 pm

I drove by Shavano on 285 tonight and the Angel is indistinguishable due to a solid coat of new snow everywhere above treeline.

Also, a PSA for driving to the TH: There is a major elk migration going on in South Park right now. I easily saw 300-400 elk tonight from about 10 miles south/west of the Highway 24 junction to about Fairplay. Really cool to see, but make sure you don't spoil your trip by hitting one!

Bummed I can't make it, but I hope you critters have yourselves a nice weekend!
Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

Postby kuhnmark » Fri May 10, 2013 7:44 am

I drove into Colorado from AZ last night. Staying in Pagosa Springs. I should be able to make it to camp around 6:00ish. Driving a black Chevy Equinox (small SUV).

Postby MountainHiker » Fri May 10, 2013 8:18 am

We’ll be heading up this evening after work. Will probably arrive around 9:00. Red 4 door Jeep Wrangler.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby GregMiller » Fri May 10, 2013 8:30 am

I should be getting there around 7ish (plan on driving over to the Jenning's Creek trail and seeing how it looks, in terms of snow pack). I'll be driving a red subaru (with a 14ers sticker, of course).
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Dex » Fri May 10, 2013 8:32 am

So how does the planning work on this?

I don't see where there is a schedule for departing the camping area for the climb or ski.

Does someone just shout out - "I'm planning to start at 5am. Who wants to come with?

Or

Do people just go and meet up on the top in the hot tub?

I'm not going - just curious.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby MonGoose » Fri May 10, 2013 8:49 am

I'll be arriving this evening around 7pm and tomorrow, I plan to hike the standard route of Shav / Tab with the group. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

Postby Chunkroc » Fri May 10, 2013 8:59 am

Should be there around 8ish. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri May 10, 2013 9:24 am

Dex wrote:So how does the planning work on this?

I don't see where there is a schedule for departing the camping area for the climb or ski.

Does someone just shout out - "I'm planning to start at 5am. Who wants to come with?

Or

Do people just go and meet up on the top in the hot tub?

I'm not going - just curious.

Some people plan ahead through the forum, others show up and find a group to hike with at camp.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri May 10, 2013 9:38 am

Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Kitten » Fri May 10, 2013 10:16 am

We will be there this evening around 6ish or so. Plan to snowshoe/hike on Sat to Shavano, maybe ski down the Angel (depending on conditions). See you there!
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

Postby Lemmiwinks » Fri May 10, 2013 10:31 am

If Jennings Creek is accessible, I'm going to try Carbonate and Cyclone. If the TH is not accessible, I'll probably head up Shav with everyone else. If anyone else is interested in Carbonate and Cyclone, let me know. I plan on getting to the campsite around 9pm.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri May 10, 2013 10:35 am

Lemmiwinks wrote:If Jennings Creek is accessible, I'm going to try Carbonate and Cyclone. If the TH is not accessible, I'll probably head up Shav with everyone else. If anyone else is interested in Carbonate and Cyclone, let me know. I plan on getting to the campsite around 9pm.

I might be up for something like this Sunday. My plans are completely up in the air for the second day. I'm going to do Shav (and maybe Tab) Saturday with the group, though.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

PreviousNext