Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Spring Gathering Location & Thread - SHAV/TAB

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: New Spring Gathering Location & Thread - SHAV/TAB

Postby Brian Thomas » Thu May 09, 2013 3:02 pm

I will be there early evening tomorrow. Am looking to ski the Angel on Saturday, conditions permitting of course. Also looking to ski La Plata NW ridge standard route on Sunday, we have two in the group now but more are welcome to join for this.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu May 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Mike Cormier wrote:Do we know if the road to the TH is still driveable?

It's mostly rain below 9,500', as far as I can tell. The TH is at 9,750'. I'm almost certain it's still passable. If for some reason it's not, we can camp at the lower meadow I referenced a few pages back, roughly 3 miles from the TH, and try to consolidate into 4WD vehicles in the morning. Anyone who heads down there early please try to post where you are? I should be one of the first, arriving in the mid-afternoon.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby ameristrat » Thu May 09, 2013 3:13 pm

If you guys wouldn't mind posting a conditions update when you get there - it'd be really helpful!

Postby Lemmiwinks » Thu May 09, 2013 3:43 pm

Anyone still thinking about Tabeguache West Ridge???
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby kushrocks » Thu May 09, 2013 4:01 pm

SurfNTurf wrote: I should be arriving at the camping area around 3:30 or 4 p.m. tomorrow afternoon, blue Mazda3 and a green/white expedition tent. Hope most of you still decide to come! I've been out in dreary forecasts more than a few times that turned out to be enjoyable days.

Dido. I should be there around 5pm tomorrow in a Grey Mitsubish Outlander with my small lab. For those of you new to these gatherings come by and say hi. It should be a fun/wet weekend \:D/
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby GregMiller » Thu May 09, 2013 4:17 pm

Lemmiwinks wrote:Anyone still thinking about Tabeguache West Ridge???

Possibly, depending on conditions.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby MtnChick » Thu May 09, 2013 6:44 pm

I will be making a trip to the Mt Princeton Hot Springs at some point in the weekend. All are welcome to join and show off those pasty winter bods! Sunglasses encouraged. 8)

-Mandy Miller

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:17 pm

You early birds plot a place for Rubi and her occupants (aiming for 6-7pm). I will have scotch so there better be room at the fire.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Kevin Baker » Thu May 09, 2013 7:58 pm

kushrocks wrote:So I know the weather looks less and less promising for the gathering but really I have a secret to the problem. All we have to do is invite or make Kevin Baker aka Mr. Bluebird come and we will have perfectly clear skies all day Saturday.

Well, Mr. Bluebird has already got a May Shavano grid slot up the Angel in crappy weather, so it's not real appealing to me. :? I still haven't decided yet though. Plus, even Mr. Bluebird is in a bit of a slump this spring!
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby mountainute » Thu May 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi all,

I'm seeing all this material about the plan to hold a gathering on shavano and tabeguache.
but WHERE are people actually camping please? I have done both peaks, but wouldnt mind to go there again and ski or ride the
angel of shavano. There is a large parking lot at the base and one can camp near that or on the access road.
Personally, I'll only be able to arrive Sat evening and ride Sunday. I've done the "angel" before, it seems suitable for a group outing since its much wider than the conundrum couloir.

I'd be up for conundrum / castle the week after, if anyone might want to go. or whenever.

Cheers, ute

Postby mountainute » Thu May 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi there,

now that i've read all those replies - is anyone planning on going to ski or ride the angel of shavano on sun?

and yes, i think there may be avalanche danger .
Cheers, ute

Postby MtnChick » Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Why would birds want to gather? They are free! The birds enjoy the gathering. They enjoy the competition. It gives them a sense of relaxation. They also like gathering information from fellow bird friends. They listen to their bird music and do their bird dance.

Thus, we gather....rain, snow, or shine.

PreviousNext