Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Spring Gathering Location & Thread - SHAV/TAB

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: New Spring Gathering Location & Thread - SHAV/TAB

Postby GregMiller » Wed May 08, 2013 6:55 am

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery on what 10ish inches of fresh snow would to do avy danger on Shav/Tab?
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.61901643727863&lon=-106.24809265136719

marie123 wrote:What time is the "early group" beginning?

I'm aiming for 4.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby k-berger » Wed May 08, 2013 7:29 am

I would be curious to hear others thoughts on the weather as well. I have been watching the forecast with a little worry this week. Not a lot of sun/time for a good freeze thaw cycle before Saturday...

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed May 08, 2013 7:38 am

GregMiller wrote:Any thoughts from the peanut gallery on what 10ish inches of fresh snow would to do avy danger on Shav/Tab?
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.61901643727863&lon=-106.24809265136719

marie123 wrote:What time is the "early group" beginning?

I'm aiming for 4.

We'll see how much snow ends up falling. Some of it should melt Friday and we'll get a strong freeze Friday night. The CAIC will have a new report out Friday afternoon, as well. I'm not overly concerned about it, but it should definitely be on everyone's radar. There are also safer routes than the Angel if the avy danger becomes a bigger concern.

As a disclaimer, I urge everyone to resist the herd mentality. Just because someone you consider experienced says it's safe doesn't make it so. Assess the risks and make your own judgments regardless of what everyone else is doing.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby RyGuy » Wed May 08, 2013 7:43 am

GregMiller wrote:Any thoughts from the peanut gallery on what 10ish inches of fresh snow would to do avy danger on Shav/Tab?
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.61901643727863&lon=-106.24809265136719.

Could make this a more interesting climb to be sure. I am not too worried at this point, likely just means we will be putting in a bit more effort to get up top. Let's see how the next 48 hours play out.

At least we aren't still looking at Castle and Conundrum peaks. Looks like they are getting even more snow, and I am willing to bet that valley is going to see quite a few Avalanches in the next 3-5 days. http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/weather.php?ltype=1#
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

Postby kushrocks » Wed May 08, 2013 9:45 am

Yea the weather forecast definitely doesn't look so hot right now. Snow all week. I still plan on going unless the weather and avy conditions get worse. I like the 4am early start but iI am flexible.

um . . Yea good call on not doing Castle and Conundrum
Last edited by kushrocks on Wed May 08, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby screeman57 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:46 am

I'm out--just looks too forbidding to me. You guys have fun and be safe.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed May 08, 2013 10:56 am

I'd urge anyone who can to delay making a decision until Friday morning. We have people on the ground in BV who can let us know exactly how much snow fell; the forecasts are often inaccurate and lots of melting could occur Friday. Even if there's a bunch of new accumulation, some of the area ridges will likely be safe.

Again, as of now, I'm not worried enough to change my plans. I'm going to wait until we know what we're dealing with to make any decisions. The 50-percent chance of snow on Saturday is for after noon, which leads me to believe it's a popup shower that will be very scattered, like our typical afternoon summer t-storms.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby nkan02 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:27 pm

I still plan on skiing Tab/Shav. Still debating the approach - Jennings creek or standard. Heavy wet spring snow - what can be better for skiing? :P

Postby kushrocks » Thu May 09, 2013 9:27 am

So I know the weather looks less and less promising for the gathering but really I have a secret to the problem. All we have to do is invite or make Kevin Baker aka Mr. Bluebird come and we will have perfectly clear skies all day Saturday.

Postby GregMiller » Thu May 09, 2013 11:04 am

SNOTEL in the area (Porphry Creek) is showing 9 new inches in 20 hours, as of 9 AM, with a snow water equivalent of .9 inches.
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/reportGenerator/beta/view/customSingleStationReport/hourly/701:co:SNTL/-167,0/WTEQ::value,SNWD::value,PREC::value,TOBS::value
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu May 09, 2013 1:06 pm

I'm still planning on going, and many people I've spoken with are as well. Will evaluate the snowpack along the way and stay on ridgelines if necessary.

I should be arriving at the camping area around 3:30 or 4 p.m. tomorrow afternoon, blue Mazda3 and a green/white expedition tent. Hope most of you still decide to come! I've been out in dreary forecasts more than a few times that turned out to be enjoyable days.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

Postby Mike Cormier » Thu May 09, 2013 1:42 pm

Do we know if the road to the TH is still driveable?

PreviousNext