Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Volcans de Ecuador.

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Volcans de Ecuador.

Postby Snowclimber » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi all,

I am going to Ecuador next month (May 2013), and will be focused on a number of high volcanoes there. I was wondering if anyone else was heading there or thinking of heading there next month, and would like to team up for some high altitude adventures! Barring that, someone who has been there before and would be happy to pass on information based on some questions I have would also be a person with whom I would enjoy talking.

Thanks.

Re: Volcans de Ecuador.

Postby brendanmagee13 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:11 pm

PM sent. Was there in January.

Postby Scott P » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:14 pm

Been there back in 2007, to Pichinchas, Ilinizas, Antisana, Cotopaxi, and Chimborazo.

PS,the plural for volcán is actually volcánes.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby shredthegnar10 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:27 am

Just a heads up, there was a thread on summitpost last fall about how Ecuador now has a mandatory guide requirement for the high altitude volcanoes (can't link cuz I'm posting from phone). Apparently they are pretty strict about it.

Postby Snowclimber » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:24 pm

I am aware of the guide requirement, thank you. I will find someone local and cheap in each case, since typically I would "guide myself". I have heard enforcement is not the same across the volcanoes.

Postby Snowclimber » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:41 am

Scott, I plan on sending you a PM tomorrow or next day. Too busy to compose what I need to at the moment. If you don't mind answering, that is....

Quick general question -can I use my alcohol stove in Ecuador? That is, is denatured alcohol, HEET, or strong rubbing alcohol available that anyone knows of? I've had mixed luck finding this type of fuel across various countries.

Postby Scott P » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:37 am

If you don't mind answering, that is....

Quick general question -can I use my alcohol stove in Ecuador? That is, is denatured alcohol, HEET, or strong rubbing alcohol available that anyone knows of?

Rubbing alcohol is almost surely available, but I didn't use it in a stove so can't comment on its performance.

Unless you are climbing Antisana, Altar, Sangay, etc., or an unusual route you probably won't need a stove since there are stoves in the huts (Cotopaxi, Chimborazo, Illinizas, and Cayambe).
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.