Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looking for Spring 14er Ski/Ride Partners

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Looking for Spring 14er Ski/Ride Partners

Postby tsizz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:43 am

REALLY want to get out this spring as conditions allow. Based out of Telluride for the next 7 months, but definitely will travel. I splitboard, have taken Avi I and II, am safe, but want to get after some aggressive lines (again, only when/if conditions allow). PLEASE, please let me know if any of you are interested in having some serious 14er fun this spring...until the dust takes it all away. I know many of you have your go-to crew, but give a girl a chance :-D, all I want to do is climb/ski (year-round), but there's only so many routes you can safely do solo, ya know?

Tamara
Last edited by tsizz on Mon May 06, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Looking for Spring 14er Ski/Ride Partners

Postby swbackcountry » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Tamara (or others that might be interested),
I live in ABQ and am going up to ski the Boxcar on Wilson this weekend. My general plan is to sleep at Lizardhead pass on Friday night, get up early on sat. Ski, and depending on things, possibly ski again sunday. I'd enjoy a motivated partner to keep the flow rollin... Just email me here on 14ers.

Postby mountainute » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:01 am

Hi Tamara,

sounds like a good idea. I have a splitboard and also touring skis and definitely want to use those. if you ride, I'll ride :)
How about in a week? with all the snow it seems avalanche dangerous to me, plus wilson is a little far for a weekend for me
(I live in Lafayette nr Boulder).
Hey so pls keep me posted of further plans - i write this as a general post in case a few more people want to join.
How about Columbias broad gully (the stdard route) or Antero? or whatever else is good. for instance, Shavanos Angel of shavano
is a good ski/SB route - i've done the route but unfortunately didnt have my board along, only snowshoes. i'd like to go there again.

and no, not everyone has 14er partners growing in piles!
another note - it doesnt have to be a 14er, a good route matters to me more, especially in winter.

cheers, Ute

Postby davidsteger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:18 pm

I was looking at taking a trip down to the Wilson group sometime around May 12-15th ish. I'm in the same boat as you, I'd like to get after some big lines, but my main ski buddy moved away and I could definitely use a partner. Keep me posted on your plans. I'm all for a big and exciting day, and I'm definitely not restricted to 14ers. I only have an AVI 1, but I'm able to get about 40+ days per year in the backcountry, so that helps.

Postby KCsplitter » Wed May 01, 2013 10:20 am

I will be in ouray may 20-23 and am wanting to do some riding, I'm willing to come around to telluride. Let me know if your interested

Postby --bb-- » Mon May 06, 2013 9:58 am

I ski and have Avi I cert. I'm not good enough on my skis for couloirs, yet, but am good in bc for more open descents. Sounds less aggressive than what you are looking for, but if you want a partner to avoid solos and are willing to be a little patient, then I'm completely interested. Right now, I'm focused on the 14 I have left and have a handful in your neck of the woods - sneffels, wilsons, snowmass... Was looking into Sneffels for this weekend.

Postby Bean » Mon May 06, 2013 12:02 pm

--bb-- wrote:I ... have Avi I cert.

No you don't.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby GregMiller » Mon May 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Bean - yes, when you've taken Avi I you're not 'certified', but you do get a "Certificate of Training" from AIARE, so you might cut people a little slack.

--bb-- - I'm kind of in the same place in terms of skill level, if you're ever looking for someone to ski with.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Bean » Mon May 06, 2013 1:11 pm

GregMiller wrote:Bean - yes, when you've taken Avi I you're not 'certified', but you do get a "Certificate of Training" from AIARE, so you might cut people a little slack.

In a sport where "moderate" and "considerable" are so different, precise language matters.

Postby Jim Davies » Mon May 06, 2013 2:06 pm

Bean wrote:In a sport where "moderate" and "considerable" are so different, precise language matters.

Since most avalanche fatalities are males with training, equipment, and experience, --bb-- might be a better partner than you think.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby tsizz » Mon May 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Easy fellas!!! Let's keep this light and fun, ok?

Postby Bean » Mon May 06, 2013 2:17 pm

Jim Davies wrote:
Bean wrote:In a sport where "moderate" and "considerable" are so different, precise language matters.

Since most avalanche fatalities are males with training, equipment, and experience, --bb-- might be a better partner than you think.

You're inferring far more than I said or implied.

Next