Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Slot Canyon this weekend

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Slot Canyon this weekend

Postby Scott P » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:35 am

It's short notice, but I'm looking for someone to do a slot canyon this weekend in Utah. It's in the San Rafael Swell and is beginner friendly, but takes two days. We would have to do the car shuttle Friday afternoon.

It will be a fairly challenging hike, but since the technical obstacles are few, it is suitable for experienced hikers with minimal technical experience. In fact, I have the gear and will be happy to take anyone through that wants to learn.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Re: Slot Canyon this weekend

Postby GregMiller » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:28 am

If I weren't already fully booked this weekend I'd definitely take you up on this. Please keep posting when you're doing beginner-doable canyons, I'd love to get into it!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Stone_man » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:39 am

I'm potentially interested, Scott. Can you tell me what canyon you're doing (and the rating)? If it takes two days, does that mean a bivy in the canyon?

Postby Scott P » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:53 am

I'm potentially interested, Scott. Can you tell me what canyon you're doing (and the rating)? If it takes two days, does that mean a bivy in the canyon?

Chimney Canyon in the Swell. Some say it is the most beautiful canyon in the Swell. Yes, we would camp in the canyon, but there's some really nice campsites in there.

Postby bhaydin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:18 pm

I'm quite interested as well. When do you think you want to leave and approximately when will you return?

Postby Scott P » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Ideally, it would be best to meet in Green River Utah around 5 pm Friday in order to do the car shuttle during daylight hours.

We should be done sometime early Sunday afternoon.

Postby bhaydin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:41 pm

Regrettably, it doesn't look like I can make it after all :( I was almost able to pull it off, but timing is tough this go-around. Man, what a bummer!

Postby Vermont Mike » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:12 am

GregMiller wrote:If I weren't already fully booked this weekend I'd definitely take you up on this. Please keep posting when you're doing beginner-doable canyons, I'd love to get into it!

Ditto here Scott, especially if you ever go mid-week (I work weekends). Hope you guys have fun in Chimney, I'll be out that way next week.

Postby Magnum420 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 am

I couldn't seem to find much info on Chimney Canyon. A few questions...

Camping in the canyon one night, right? Is the shuttle point 2wd or 4wd access? Also, What distance are you doing, total, and each day? Special gear? Are you doing this canyon with full backpacking gear or is it a minimalist bivy type situation?

I'm interested but dont count me in right now... My final decision kind of rests on the answers to the above questions, and how much work I can get done tonight.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby Scott P » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:18 am

I couldn't seem to find much info on Chimney Canyon.

Yes, that's one of the attractions. It is said to be the most beautiful canyon in the Swell, but isn't very popular (probably because it takes two days and has a fairly long car shuttle).

Camping in the canyon one night, right?

Yes. The lower end has good campsites and good water.

Is the shuttle point 2wd or 4wd access?

Not paved, but 2wd accessible.

Also, What distance are you doing, total, and each day?

Maybe 16-18 miles total?

Special gear?

Rappelling harness, belay device, 'biners, etc. I have extra if anyone needs some.

Are you doing this canyon with full backpacking gear or is it a minimalist bivy type situation?

I'd say between the two. It's supposed to be nearly 50 at night, so only a summer bag is needed. A small tent is optional. We plan on taking the normal backpacking stuff (stove, etc.).

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:53 am

Can't make THIS weekend, but I would love to join on one of these more beginner-friendly canyons in the future...given a bit more heads up :wink:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Magnum420 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks for the info. Sorry, the distance will prob be a bit much for me right now. I was hoping you were going to say something in the 12-14mile range.

Keep me in mind for future easier canyons, I still want to get out with you guys sometime.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Next