Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2013 Spring Gathering...

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: 2013 Spring Gathering...

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:31 pm

I may be coming after all. We'll see. If the mountains are calling, my phone is blowing up. I can't wait to be on a summit again...
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby globreal » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Anyone climbing Cathedral?

Yes, I am planning on Cathedral on Saturday.

Anybody interested in climbing Thunder Pyramid on Sunday?
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:57 pm

Britt, still planning, tentatively, on Cathedral. Only three weeks away, but the spring avy danger remains impressive.

Postby giarcd » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:01 am

Even though I am older,fatter and slower this year-----I can not miss a chance to see old friends and meet new ones!! count me in

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Let's watch the weather and avalanche conditions closely in the coming weeks, and please feel free to leave your thoughts on the subject here.

I'll likely make a decision the prior weekend (May 4/5) to keep the Gathering at Castle/Conundrum or move it to the poll runner-up, Shavano/Tabeguache. The standard approach to C/C crosses serious avalanche terrain and we've had one heck of a wet April. Just trying to play it safe.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby MountainHiker » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:02 pm

I have been holding off jumping in on this climb because of these concerns. MountainHikerette & I had already talked about Shavano that weekend.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby ameristrat » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:02 pm

I certainly value safety. Is the danger on that slope under Malamute? As I recall, you'd pretty much be through the middle of the slope! I climbed in July though, so haven't seen the slopes in Winter / Spring.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:08 pm

what if we pushed the date back for the Gathering?

Postby globreal » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:25 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:what if we pushed the date back for the Gathering?

Are we not already seeing temperatures going in and out of the freeze/thaw cycle now? Don't you think conditions could stabilize considerably in 3 more weeks?
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby LuLuLuv » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:26 pm

Push it back!!! Of course this is all for selfish reasons, I can't make the current date!! :-D

Postby kushrocks » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:13 pm

Id like to see it switched to the Shav/Tab area as well just due to the constant recent heavy snow. I also think with that many people even if the snow pack stabilizes it wouldn't be the best idea to do Castle and Conundrum. My 2 cents.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby forbins_mtn » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:32 am

globreal wrote:
forbins_mtn wrote:what if we pushed the date back for the Gathering?

Are we not already seeing temperatures going in and out of the freeze/thaw cycle now? Don't you think conditions could stabilize considerably in 3 more weeks?

of course i think they could. but there's just so many variables involved with this. I've never done a gathering but i assume there's going to be up to 20 climbers(which we all agree is lot on what could be unstable conditions), plus it's Mother's Day weekend. Just seems like a viable option to push it back and take care of some of these variables.

PreviousNext