Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2013 Spring Gathering...

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: 2013 Spring Gathering...

Postby swdishfishhoarder » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:00 am

If anyone wants to carpool from Colorado Springs sent me a PM.

Postby Arkenstone » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:36 pm

Oh this sounds too good to pass up. Can I be the designated new guy? What kind of hazing rituals are we talking here, cause I am not carrying everybody's kitchen sink. I have yet to hit the Elk Mtns so I'm good for any route short of skis, unless you want to see the longest cartwheeling yard sale ever. Def carpool from springs anyone.

Postby JROSKA » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:15 am

Sounds like fun, especially since I'd like to get back out there to do the Castle / Conundrum traverse (fell a bit short last year). I may be with someone who has a 4WD truck. Curious - any chance we can maybe drive up that road to 12,000 feet (or even higher) or would that be out of the question for that time of year?

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:48 am

JROSKA wrote:any chance we can maybe drive up that road to 12,000 feet (or even higher) or would that be out of the question for that time of year?

We were there this same time last year and I drove my Honda CR-V up to the bridge and parked there. Two years ago we drove a Toyota Sequoia through the creek crossing and it resulted in some expensive repairs #-o
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby mtree » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:29 pm

I've been up to Castle Peak a couple times. Crossing the creek (river) in a vehicle will require a high clearance 4WD - if its even possible - in mid-May. With all the recent snows, I'm guessing it'll be raging pretty good. If you manage to cross Castle Creek, once you reach the Y for Pearl Pass/Montezuma Basin, the road gets considerably rougher and begins to narrow drastically. You'll likely need a short wheel base and high clearance if you want to continue past 11,200ft. That or alot of determination...and a fat wallet just in case. If there's snow/ice, all bets are off.

If the creek isn't passable to vehicles, hopefully, there's a shallow crossing or bridge somewhere to get across the creek on foot.

If conditions persist, the skiing will be awesome and STEEP! Experts only. That said, I might be up for the gathering. It'll be a game time decision based on weather and conditions.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby davebobk47 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm planning on being there. Looking to do C/C via Castle's N Face Couloir then over to Conundrum. Coming from Summit County (right off I-70 in Frisco) if anyone is looking to carpool. Will also plan on bringing some adult beverages :iluvbeer:
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality." -T.E. Lawrence

Postby mountainute » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi there,
i'd like to come to a group outing to meet some more folks, however, i'm not sure that colouir climbing is especially safe in large groups.
Is anyone interested in climbing something in a smaller group?
then please drop me a note. Cheers, u :-D :-D

Postby Scott P » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 am

Since people are asking about trailhead access et al, it is worth noting that there is now 2.4 times the amount of snow in the area this year vs. last year.

I'd guess that the chances of getting past the stream crossing in a vehicle are very slim.

Even getting to the stream crossing in a vehicle may not be possible, though there are plenty of places to camp below this.

i'm not sure that colouir climbing is especially safe in large groups.

+1.

Is anyone interested in climbing something in a smaller group?

If too crowded, I may meet the group for the evening and head to Sopris, Pearl, or something.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby k-berger » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:30 am

davebobk47 wrote:Looking to do C/C via Castle's N Face Couloir then over to Conundrum.

Thinking the same thing if snow conditions and crowds work out. I would be up for alternatives as well if too many people are looking to climb the same couloir (although I haven't seen many people mention the N face couloir on this thread). I will be driving from Denver and would be interested in a carpool.

Postby ameristrat » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:13 am

All tight, I'm definitely in. Will contribute the best beer in the world: Milwaulkee's Best Ice.

If you can finish the can without hating your life, it's free! :twisted:
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby GregMiller » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:16 am

ameristrat wrote:Will contribute the best beer in the world: Milwaulkee's Best Ice.

If by 'best' you mean 'best beer in the world for use as a pistol target', then sure. :lol:

Edit - and I mean unopened - old skunked cans of beer make pretty fun targets :-)
(Note - be safe, and do all your drinking AFTER you're done shooting, please)
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby ameristrat » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:26 pm

GregMiller wrote:
ameristrat wrote:Will contribute the best beer in the world: Milwaulkee's Best Ice.

If by 'best' you mean 'best beer in the world for use as a pistol target', then sure. :lol:

Exactly.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

PreviousNext