Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2013 Spring Gathering...

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
User avatar
Posts: 1493
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:24 pm
Location: Monument, CO

Re: 2013 Spring Gathering...

Postby globreal » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:17 pm

I've got this on the calendar and hope to make it. If so, my peak of choice would be Cathedral.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

User avatar
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:25 am
Location: Englewood, CO

Re: 2013 Spring Gathering...

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:05 am

globreal wrote:I've got this on the calendar and hope to make it. If so, my peak of choice would be Cathedral

What he said.
SurfNTurf wrote:The Castle Creek TH has several large, open fields and designated camp sites further along the road

Mr. Golden, just to clarify, this would be accessible to low-clearance, 2WD vehicles, i.e. near where we camped up there last spring?
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

User avatar
Posts: 1453
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: Denver/Golden

Re: 2013 Spring Gathering...

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 am

Brian Thomas wrote:
globreal wrote:I've got this on the calendar and hope to make it. If so, my peak of choice would be Cathedral

What he said.
SurfNTurf wrote:The Castle Creek TH has several large, open fields and designated camp sites further along the road

Mr. Golden, just to clarify, this would be accessible to low-clearance, 2WD vehicles, i.e. near where we camped up there last spring?


Yessir, exactly where we camped last spring.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Online
User avatar
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: colorado springs

Re: 2013 Spring Gathering...

Postby climbnowworklater » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:44 am

Sign me up! Based on the comments, it looks like a good turnout. Although, it seems most are interested in colouir climbing or cathedral peak. Is there anyone planning on hiking these two as a combo via the standard routes: Castle NE ridge and Conundrum South ridge?
"the best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

User avatar
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO (5780')

Re: 2013 Spring Gathering...

Postby Kevin Baker » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:52 pm

I would be interested in Conundrum Couloir, but not with a large group. I guess we'll have to see how many people are in for the snow climb. This is a snow climb that I would not recommend for a first snow climb as others have stated. It's not hard, but not easy either.

Sun I would be interested in leading 13ers Pearl and Oyster (aka West Pearl) via Pearl Pass if weather conditions/permit if anyone is interested in joining me.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:28 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: 2013 Spring Gathering...

Postby swdishfishhoarder » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:07 pm

I'm in! I would be up for the standard route(s) or the neaby 13ers because I havn't invested in crampons or an ice axe. And I'll be bringing beer. Looking forward to it!

Re: 2013 Spring Gathering...

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:14 pm

climbnowworklater wrote:Sign me up! Based on the comments, it looks like a good turnout. Although, it seems most are interested in colouir climbing or cathedral peak. Is there anyone planning on hiking these two as a combo via the standard routes: Castle NE ridge and Conundrum South ridge?


yeah, i'm thinking standard routes. i figure these things are more about meeting people and having a good time. let's get a big group up Castle/Conundrum and have a great day

Online
User avatar
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: colorado springs

Re: 2013 Spring Gathering...

Postby climbnowworklater » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:55 am

forbins_mtn wrote:
climbnowworklater wrote:Sign me up! Based on the comments, it looks like a good turnout. Although, it seems most are interested in colouir climbing or cathedral peak. Is there anyone planning on hiking these two as a combo via the standard routes: Castle NE ridge and Conundrum South ridge?


yeah, i'm thinking standard routes. i figure these things are more about meeting people and having a good time. let's get a big group up Castle/Conundrum and have a great day

Exactly! You and I are on the same page. Look forward to seeing you out there.
"the best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

User avatar
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil

Re: 2013 Spring Gathering...

Postby Fisching » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:09 am

SurfNTurf wrote:
Brian Thomas wrote:
globreal wrote:I've got this on the calendar and hope to make it. If so, my peak of choice would be Cathedral

What he said.
SurfNTurf wrote:The Castle Creek TH has several large, open fields and designated camp sites further along the road

Mr. Golden, just to clarify, this would be accessible to low-clearance, 2WD vehicles, i.e. near where we camped up there last spring?


Yessir, exactly where we camped last spring.


And, if I remember correctly, it's only a "Brian Thomas 15 Minute Hike"™ to the Pearl Pass turnoff from the campground.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

User avatar
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:15 am
Location: Page, AZ

Re: 2013 Spring Gathering...

Postby kuhnmark » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:57 am

I'm going to try to make it. I'll be driving up from Page, AZ, so I'll probably turn it into a long weekend trip.

User avatar
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:25 am
Location: Englewood, CO

Re: 2013 Spring Gathering...

Postby Brian Thomas » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:15 pm

Any interest in Mt Sopris on Saturday 5/11 before heading down to camp at the gathering? I am planning to do Castle and Conundrum via standard route Castle's NE ridge on Sunday 5/12.

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-sopris/150233
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Online
User avatar
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:10 pm
Location: Englewood

Re: 2013 Spring Gathering...

Postby ameristrat » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:08 am

I could be up for Sopris. It's a great hike!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adamprkr, INMtnGirl, javy20040, Nelson and 10 guests