Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

LOCATION POLL - Spring Gathering

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Location of the Spring Gathering?

Castle/Conundrum (Castle Creek TH)
45%
Shavano/Tabeguache (Shav/Tab TH)
24%
Mt. Yale (Dispersed camping near Avalanche Gulch TH)
5%
Mt. Elbert (S. Elbert TH)
6%
Mt. Lindsey (Lily Lake TH)
13%
Grays/Torreys (Stevens Gulch TH)
8%

Total votes : 85

Re: LOCATION POLL - Spring Gathering

Postby kushrocks » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:55 am

semitrueskerm wrote:Castle & Conundrum! I'm totally into that idea. Plus...it's near a place where the beer flows like wine, and women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano...

In that case I am in.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby ameristrat » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm talking about a little place called Aspen!

Castle and Conundrum would be fun, especially if the snow is in decent shape. That said, I'd be happy to do any of these. I'd be particularly interested in an Angel of Shavano snow climb.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby eskermo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:51 pm

[quote="ameristrat"]I'm talking about a little place called Aspen!

I don't know Lloyd, the French are A-holes...

Postby Michael J » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:40 am

Castle/Conundrum sounds like a great idea. Could be a great ski trip as well!

"I've often heard a voice call down to me
If you'd climb higher you'd find wondrous things to see..."

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:27 am

With Conundrum something to be aware of, is the rock glacier hole with associated crevasses. There have been threads on this. Here’s one that I found. Perhaps people could dig a few other threads.
http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27103&hilit=conundrum+crevasse&start=12
My concern is fresh snow, or spring melting snow could hide a dangerous hazard on the usual Conundrum descent route. This hole and its crevasses move some year to year. I have some more pictures that I posted to these threads. (Some are on my summitpost profile) I'm about to leave for skiing so I can't did around right now.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:21 pm

I'll leave this poll up through the weekend. If Castle/Conundrum wins (appears likely) and is deemed impossible due to a gate closure or snow conditions or any other reason, we'll shift to whatever the runner-up is in the voting.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Monster5 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:27 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:I'll leave this poll up through the weekend. If Castle/Conundrum wins (appears likely) and is deemed impossible due to a gate closure or snow conditions or any other reason, we'll shift to whatever the runner-up is in the voting.

OR we head up to Cathedral Basin. Awesome snow climb options on Malemute and Cathedral. Easier options on Electric/Leahy.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Postby Scott P » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:34 pm

Assuming it goes May 11-12, I'm in for the Saturday part (assuming wet slab conditions are reasonable). Would love to do the Conundrum Couloir.

Anyway, no matter what route is chosen on these peaks, I'm sure everyone already knows that they are only for people that are proficient with an ice axe.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:27 pm

mtn_nut wrote:I think the sangres would be great. Voted for lindsey.

ditto.

Plus, there's fly fishing in a nice small stream.

Edit: Though really, I'd be happy with any of the choices. All good.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:41 am

Will Ind Pass be open for Cas/Con by then?

Postby zephyr_pelicante » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Voted for castle/conundrum because I think that would be sweet to do in the winter and I haven't done them yet.

I'd also be down with Yale or Lindsey. The others would be less desirable but I'd still consider going.

Postby LuLuLuv » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:09 pm

I voted Castle and Conundrum! So is the tentative date May 11th? Independence pass usually opens Memorial weekend, although they opened a week early last year...

PreviousNext