Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

DATE POLL - Spring Gathering

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Spring Gathering Date Poll

Poll ended at Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:43 am

April 20-21
13%
April 27-28
7%
May 4-5
21%
May 11-12
46%
May 18-19
13%

Total votes : 56

Re: DATE POLL - Spring Gathering

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:45 am

Bump for date poll.

I voted for May 11-12, so take this as tampering if you'd like, but keep in mind that avalanche conditions will likely be much more tame in early/mid-May as opposed to mid-April.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby doggler » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:06 am

I voted for May 11th - 12th simply because Jeff is a boss.

...and I can't make any of the other dates.

Postby mikemalick » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:15 am

I know it is always tough picking dates that work for the greatest number of people, but just FYI that May 12th is Mother's Day and May 19th is the Colfax Marathon.

Postby Scott P » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:17 am

Tough choice, but I have to vote April 20-21.

April 27-28 = Already planned Peak 10 trip (unless someone wanted to do the gathering on Peak 10). :wink:

May 4 = Daughter's Birthday and party.

May 12 = Mother's Day

May 17 = Son's Birthday (party is on the 18th)

Us married guys might have a hard time getting a pass for May 12 unless our wives would really enjoy a break from the kids and we all take them to the gathering. :wink:
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby GregMiller » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:21 am

Don't know if it affects anyone else, but you might want to keep in mind that the next REI Boulder garage sale is April 20th and 21st (wee, garage sale on 420, that oughta be a fun line to be sitting in).
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby MountainHiker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:53 am

Haven't voted yet pending checking with MountainHikerette. One of those weekends is wiped out by a wedding. Seems to me she had something one of the others. I also agree with May for the additional reason of trailhead access.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby semitrueskerm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:53 am

I turn the big 4-0 on May 4th. Would have no problem celebrating with some summits. But all dates work for me.

Postby kushrocks » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:57 am

I would prefer the first two weekends in May but I could pretty much do any weekend except the 18th and 19th.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby aliciaf » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:09 pm

I voted for May 18-19 but I could do either of the April weekends too. My bridal shower is May 11th though so I can't attend that weekend :(

Postby ameristrat » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:05 pm

I can do anything that isn't May 18-19th. Voted for the 4th because Cinco de Mayo in the mountains sounds like a hell of a weekend! Hope I can make it!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:17 pm

ameristrat wrote:I can do anything that isn't May 18-19th. Voted for the 4th because Cinco de Mayo in the mountains sounds like a hell of a weekend! Hope I can make it!

I think that is a good idea!

It's not too early, but also not interfering with Mom Time on the following weekend. May is when I wanted to do C & C anyway, so it fits perfectly into my schedule. I'm hopefully busy on April 28... something about a retro party on Mt. Elbert. 8)
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby ameristrat » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Helll yeah!! Hopefully conditions shape up well for Snowmass in May too!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

PreviousNext