Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

St. Marys snow/ice practice day?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: St. Marys snow/ice practice day?

Postby Stereo311 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:23 pm

I will have plenty of room in my Nissan Pathfinder. I am coming from Glenwood Springs. Anyone from here to Vail is welcome to ride with me.

Postby rkalsbeek » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:47 pm

Room for 1 if bringing skis. 3 if not bringing skis! driving from boulder and can car pool with any one in boulder to golden.
Sous les pavés, la plage.

Climbing for Alzheimer's Awareness
https://www.facebook.com/1414ersforAlzheimers
http://www.1414ersforalz.org Raising awareness about Alzheimer's Disease.

Postby Justin9 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:05 am

I have room for 3 more. Leaving from Colorado Springs. I know someone else from the springs wants to go!

Postby wildlobo71 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:02 am

I will be bowing out of this trip this time... conditions, weather (as I sit in my 68-degree house drinking hot coffee looking at the snow pile up and feel happy I am not now out in it), I am recovering from a cold... All great excuses for the part of me that is still luke-warm to winter/spring climbing.

You lovers of standing around in 7-degree highs, 15-25 mph winds and flurries - my respect. I'll be ready to do this trip to St. Mary's and James Peak in April.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Winter8000m » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:14 am

wildlobo71 wrote:I will be bowing out of this trip this time... conditions, weather (as I sit in my 68-degree house drinking hot coffee looking at the snow pile up and feel happy I am not now out in it), I am recovering from a cold... All great excuses for the part of me that is still luke-warm to winter/spring climbing.

You lovers of standing around in 7-degree highs, 15-25 mph winds and flurries - my respect. I'll be ready to do this trip to St. Mary's and James Peak in April.

I'm in a hard situation as well. I'm in the springs, was suppose to head home today to get things packed and ready for tomorrow but my car won't be making it today with the amount of snow and traffic. And it's going to snow tomorrow. So don't know what I'm going to do. Unless things change for the better, don't know how I'll get there especially since all my winter gear is at my house. Doug will be up there if I can't make it. He's definitely knowledgeable.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby Doug Shaw » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:50 pm

Winter8000m wrote:Doug will be up there if I can't make it. He's definitely knowledgeable.

What are you, kidding me? I'm not going outside when it's cold and snowy!

Today's dose of quasi-grumpy pragmatism:

- getting there in bad weather may be a PITA. We absolutely must leave before ski traffic in both directions.
- conditions may not be entirely favorable, i.e. if there is a lot of loose, fresh snow - that may be great for skiing but not so great for self-arrest practice.
- NWS forecast: "Mostly cloudy, with a high near 15. Wind chill values as low as -14". You can bet money that it will be windy on the glacier - perhaps very windy indeed.

All that said, I'm up for a day out, even if it's meh.

Stereo - St Mary's is a good training location but it's not really a destination in and of itself. It is popular by us Denver denizens because of its proximity. I don't want to dissuade you, but I wouldn't really think it would be worth driving all the way from Glenwood for few hours at St Mary's Glacier... but that's just me. And if conditions are bad, that just adds to it...

Postby Justin9 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:01 pm

I thought snow was going to be relatively light here in cos when I woke up this morning. I am now sitting here looking at 6". The roads are not good already - I took I 25 to get to REI and moved at about 30 mph with traffic. With that said, I believe st Mary's will have too much snow to be good for practicing this weekend. I will plan on another weekend and will also be putting out a post for anyone interested in going to glen cove next weekend if conditions are favorable. With any luck at all someone with experience would be willing to go there to help out :?:

Postby colokeith » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:20 pm

I think I'm going to bale on this. I would be very interested if a different weekend is put together
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby Brian C » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:26 pm

I also will not be there tomorrow.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby Winter8000m » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:51 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:
Winter8000m wrote:Doug will be up there if I can't make it. He's definitely knowledgeable.

What are you, kidding me? I'm not going outside when it's cold and snowy!

See my last post. It's one thing to rely on your legs and body in the cold which I'm sure no one on here is afraid to do. It's another to rely on your car (not a 4wd vehicle) and other bad driver's on the 2 hour drive (in dry conditions) back to D town from where I'm at. Going to play it safe, unless of course you want to pick me up. Since your not afraid of the snow.

Don't think it's okay to bag on other people for these type of decisions.

Add to the fact that last part of the St Mary's road can get really bad. I witnessed a really bad wreck last time I was there. Car slid downhill with locked brakes off the side. Car was totaled.

Have fun.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby Doug Shaw » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:11 pm

Winter8000m wrote:Don't think it's okay to bag on other people for these type of decisions.

Sorry, it was entirely misinterpreted ... it was tongue in cheek about me not wanting to leave my comfy residence. No bagging intended!

Postby Stereo311 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Sorry boys I'm bailing too. A big thanks to the guys that were going to take their time to help others learn valuable techniques. Hopefully, you will be up for it again when conditions are better.

PreviousNext