Forum

St. Marys snow/ice practice day?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: St. Marys snow/ice practice day?

Postby Winter8000m » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:16 pm

I might be willing to help out if the dates are right and I'm around. I know the perfect spot up there to practice ascending the rope along with hauling and "make your own glacier" travel. Same spot the CMC AMS uses..

Postby colokeith » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:07 am

I would be interested for sure!!
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby rkalsbeek » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am

Winter8000m wrote:I might be willing to help out if the dates are right and I'm around. I know the perfect spot up there to practice ascending the rope along with hauling and "make your own glacier" travel. Same spot the CMC AMS uses..

Thank you for offering, Winter8000!!!

Are there any particular weekends that would work for you? Seems to be considerable interest. I don't want to put you on the spot or anything, so you can PM me, but I'd like to try and organize this so that we can get some good training and I can meet some of y'all!

Not sure if you saw my previous post, but I'm still offering copious amounts of your favorite beer in return for a few lessons on glacier travel and self - arrest.
Sous les pavés, la plage.

Climbing for Alzheimer's Awareness
https://www.facebook.com/1414ersforAlzheimers
http://www.1414ersforalz.org Raising awareness about Alzheimer's Disease.

Postby Steve Climber » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:36 pm

Sorry, also been MIA for a bit on this.

Winter8000M, I would be game for almost any time given a bit of heads up on scheduling.
SurfNTurf - If there is a normal organized one that gets put together each season, I am way into that as a regular skill sharpening.

I know I started the ball rolling on this, but as I have no experience :oops: I hesitate wanting to take point on organizing this. I can definitely help coordinate with folks for time, but I will be dependent on skilled folks availability for sure.

I may also be able to provide a grille and a small quantity of adult beverages for some post drill refreshment...you know, just to sweeten the deal up a bit :-)
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Brian C » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:40 pm

Winter8000m wrote:I might be willing to help out if the dates are right and I'm around. I know the perfect spot up there to practice ascending the rope along with hauling and "make your own glacier" travel. Same spot the CMC AMS uses..

I'd be happy to come too as long as I'm free.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby Winter8000m » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:54 pm

rkalsbeek wrote:

Thank you for offering, Winter8000!!!

Are there any particular weekends that would work for you? Seems to be considerable interest. I don't want to put you on the spot or anything, so you can PM me, but I'd like to try and organize this so that we can get some good training and I can meet some of y'all!

Not sure if you saw my previous post, but I'm still offering copious amounts of your favorite beer in return for a few lessons on glacier travel and self - arrest.

I could do this Sunday? Though the following Sunday might work best for me but that's Easter so I don't see that happening? I got weekdays pretty open too right now but I doubt that will work out with everyone's work schedule. April might be a bit hard for me but I'm sure Brian could get something worked out if I can't. What's everyone's schedule like?
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby GregMiller » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:52 pm

I could do any of the next 4 weekends, though I'd prefer one of the next two as I have some friends coming in to town March 30th/31st who want to learn snow travel, and I'd like to either learn this stuff to show them, or be able to bring them to this.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Brian C » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:04 am

Noah - I think I can do Sunday too.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby rkalsbeek » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:50 am

Sunday works for me! What kind of things could we focus on? I need to learn how to self-arrest, but I don't really know what else I don't know (ya know?)

Postby colokeith » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:23 am

Just to be clear which Sunday are you planning on doing this? 3/23 or 3/30?
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby rkalsbeek » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:46 am

I believe we are talking this Sunday (3/24). I'm free either one, sounds like this Sunday works for Winter8000 and Brian

Postby Steve Climber » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:47 am

I'm out for any week days, but can do most weekends as long as I have a few days heads up. Next Sunday (03/31) would be better, but I can make this Sunday (03/24) work if needed. Would need to know by tomorrow if possible.

So far I am coming with !!!HELMET!!!, Ice Axe, Crampons, Harness, Biner(s), Snow worthy clothing and extra socks. Any suggestions on other gear to bring or something ESSENTIAL that I am missing? Will also bring small grill and some beers (hope Dales and/or Ranger is good for everyone) Someone else may also want to bring a grille depending on how many heads we end up with.

edit: What time are we looking at?
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

PreviousNext