Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

St. Marys snow/ice practice day?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

St. Marys snow/ice practice day?

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:54 am

At the March 7 happy hour, SurfNTurf (I think) brought up the idea of heading up to St. Marys to practice some snow/ice skills: team rope travel, self-arrest techniques, crevasse rescue, hauling, etc...I am completely unfamiliar with most of it, and honestly fairly intimidated by it. I have a friend that climbs Rainier several times a year and I would love to join him one of these days, but I definitely need to get past the nervousness by getting some general experience with it.

Anyone with experience open to providing basic instruction and/or interested in a small group outing any time this season?
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Re: St. Marys snow/ice practice day?

Postby Stereo311 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:16 pm

If you find someone willing to help out, I would love to join you guys. I am hoping to climb Rainier, one day. My only practice of Self Arrest has been on Castle Peak, which was really weak. The snow was so powdery that i just sunk into it. I would love to get a better skill set for winter hiking/ climbing.

Postby Winter8000m » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:46 pm

I know Brian C is doing a lot of of glacier type practice for his upcoming trip to Peru. He might be interested in helping and sharing his thoughts on the whole system from previous experiences on Rainier and etc..
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby KyleS » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:13 pm

My girlfriend and I would like to tag along as well. We are pretty handy with snow travel but really need some glacier practice for an upcoming trip. We live out in the San Juans, but we'd be willing to drive up if this happens.

Postby GregMiller » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm interested as well, it'd be good to learn some safe travel practices, and if possible how to do a crevasse rescue

Postby SolarAlex » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:18 pm

i would be very interested in going out and practicing some snow skills! Im hoping to try rainier this summer

Postby rkalsbeek » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:39 am

I am also VERY interested in learning these snow techniques (self arrest, team roped travel, etc.) It seems that we have a lot of people willing to go and not too many people offering to teach. If any is willing to head up with us to show us some of the basics, I'll buy many beers of your choice! :iluvbeer:
Sous les pavés, la plage.

Climbing for Alzheimer's Awareness
https://www.facebook.com/1414ersforAlzheimers
http://www.1414ersforalz.org Raising awareness about Alzheimer's Disease.

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:42 am

I still haven't practiced self arrest... :oops: Any assistance with snow climbing would be greatly appreciated. I would like to attend and learn!
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby jsdratm » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:54 am

If you are interested in learning these techniques, I would recommend the classes offered by the Colorado Mountain Club. If you want to climb peaks like Rainier, their High Altitude Mountaineering School (HAMS) is probably the best and cheapest way to learn everything you need to know.

http://www.cmchams.org/school/

Postby I Man » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:07 pm

I would be interest in attending a day like this.
Last edited by I Man on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:40 pm

aboynamedmargrette wrote:At the March 7 happy hour, SurfNTurf (I think) brought up the idea of heading up to St. Marys to practice some snow/ice skills: team rope travel, self-arrest techniques, crevasse rescue, hauling, etc...I am completely unfamiliar with most of it, and honestly fairly intimidated by it. I have a friend that climbs Rainier several times a year and I would love to join him one of these days, but I definitely need to get past the nervousness by getting some general experience with it.

Anyone with experience open to providing basic instruction and/or interested in a small group outing any time this season?

Yep, that was me. Sorry for being MIA the last few days and not responding until now. Busy weekend...

We've organized one or two of these a year for a little while now, and it's probably time for another one. Unfortunately, I don't have a free weekend until April 20. If you want to organize something for then, that works for me, otherwise I hope y'all have a blast.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby zdero1 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:40 pm

I'd be down. I need to make sure my skills are good to go for Shasta.

Next