Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

RMNP Climbing this weekend, next month

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

RMNP Climbing this weekend, next month

Postby thebravecowboy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:37 am

Hi all,

I'm headed east to the Longs area tonight from Carbondale. Looking to climb Martha, the North Face of Longs, or just the Keyhole and would be happy for some company (and preferably a belay). Looking at a lazy (6 or 7) start tomorrow morning and camping up high tomorrow night ... this is partly a gear shakedown for a Denali trip later this spring. Don't really have a detailed plan, was gonna play it by ear depending on how I feel and if I can find a partner for the more technical stuff. I'm not a particularly fast hiker by Colorado standards (2 - 2.5 hours to the chasm lake jct with a pack?) or a particularly daring climber. Looking for mellow, safety-oriented partners.

I've got a full ice rack, spare tools and spare crampons.

If you're interested in meeting up tomorrow morning for some moderate ice, or Sunday morning for a climb of longs, hit me up.

Also, thinking about heading back to the area next month for more of the same, Dreamweaver or Martha if your interested and need a little more lead time.

Also, probably going to do some snow climbing in the Elks and/or San Juans later in April and May when the snowpack settles down a bit.

Cheers,

Ben

Re: RMNP Climbing this weekend, next month

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:02 am

I'm planning on giving the Tour De Longs a shot tomorrow. I'd be heading up via Meeker/Loft, but I might be open to descending North Face if the knowledge was around (I have basic gear, but no outdoor rap experience). IkeB sounds like he might be joining me so I would need to check with him as well. Planning on an early start (2-3am)...not sure if any of that fits your "non-plan :wink: " but figured I'd run it up the flagpole.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby thebravecowboy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:24 pm

Thanks for the invite. I probably won't be getting to the th until pretty late tonight (driving out after work) so I'm not sure a 2a start will really work for me, but feel free to knock on my truck if you're so inclined and see if I wake up :-D. Its a white ranger with a red homemade topper.

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:20 pm

thebravecowboy wrote:Thanks for the invite. I probably won't be getting to the th until pretty late tonight (driving out after work) so I'm not sure a 2a start will really work for me, but feel free to knock on my truck if you're so inclined and see if I wake up :-D. Its a white ranger with a red homemade topper.

Will do... Just remember you told me to :lol:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Kiefer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:02 am

Marthas is not in. Dreamweaver is chincy...crux section is thin & brittle. Cables Route is solid & good.
Hope that helps!