Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Last Minute Longs?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Last Minute Longs?

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:27 pm

I know it's very last minute, but seems that this Saturday might be a spectacular day to try for a "winter :-s " Longs ascent. Chance of tiny snow accumulation overnight Friday and daytime Saturday, but looks like wind may be mild (for Longs) and nice temps.

Full discolsure: I will be going at an easy pace to keep a knee from acting up...if it starts giving me problems, I WILL turn around so don't plan on joining if needing a partner for the entire hike is critical. I don't want to let anyone down with an early return, or risk injuring myself further by soldiering on in fear of letting someone down (most likely what would happen).

Thinking about a Tour de Longs (Meeker, Longs, Storm, MLW) if partnered up and knee ok...otherwise maybe go for a regular shot up Keyhole. If just Keyhole, I would still like to toss MLW and/or Storm in on way back down, but not critical.

Thinking a 4-5am start for one last winter sunrise (7:10ish) on the Diamond

Plan on bringing crampons, ice axe, layers. I am assuming bootpack is plentiful so no snowshoes should be required.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Re: Last Minute Longs?

Postby IkeB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:25 pm

I am in, just need to be off the trail by 430ish
Last edited by IkeB on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby zephyr_pelicante » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:33 pm

Should be fun. Did LP - Keyhole last Saturday, unless you're Anton, I'd recommend a bit earlier start. Especially if you think you'll be up for doing more than just Keyhole. If you do Tour De Longs I will buy you a six-pack.

You won't need snowshoes but ice axe and crampons will be very very useful.

It will blow your mind, do it!

Postby forbins_mtn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:15 pm

I would love to go with you, man! but my dumbass joined a 10k in City Park this weekend and I totally forgot about it. Long's sounds way better. Keep me posted on how it goes.

Postby screeman57 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Wish I could go this weekend, but I will definitely be heading down there mid-week for a Weds. attempt. Could you PM me the beta if you don't post a report? Mainly concerned about recent snow accumulation.

If you feel like waiting till Wednesday, let me know!
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:55 am

@Ike, PM'd you cell number. Maybe a 2-3am start?
@Screeman - will definitely try to take lots of pics and get some beta up
@TJ - would love to have you along. Good luck and have fun with the 10k. We'll hook up for another climb soon I'm sure. Another partner of mine is coming into town soon to climb a few peaks. I'll keep you in the loop.
@Zephyr - thanks for the suggestion. I've been up Longs from a few different sides, MLW and Storm individually, but never done the Tour. Assuming my knee holds out, should be an awesome time!
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby screeman57 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:52 am

Thanks--have a great day out!
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold