Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Evans (Sawtooth?) Friday 3/15

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Mt. Evans (Sawtooth?) Friday 3/15

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:46 pm

Weather looks favorable Friday, anyone want to try for a Mt. Evans snowflake? I'd prefer the Sawtooth but would be fine heading directly to Evans from Guanella Pass as well. Need to be back in Denver at a reasonable hour, preferably 4-5 p.m., so an early start is a must.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Re: Mt. Evans (Sawtooth?) Friday 3/15

Postby BenfromtheEast » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:18 pm

I thought this was going to be our special day together. :cry:

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:39 pm

You didn't sound very committed this morning, and I've learned that any weekend you mention "Grand Lake" means you'll be MIA Thursday-Monday.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Bean » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:51 pm

Hm, I could get double snowflakes all the way (almost like a triple snowflake!). Could be worth doing especially if there's enough snow for a half-assed ski descent.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby nkan02 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 pm

I would go if Bean shows me how to ski Evans :) I didn't think there is enough snow, and that skiing is done in Spring from Summit lake side.(?)

Postby IkeB » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:34 pm

If only it was on Saturday.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:13 am

Damn wish I had Friday off. We could have compared and contrasted our First Ascent garb Jeff!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby Bean » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:27 am

nkan02 wrote:I would go if Bean shows me how to ski Evans :) I didn't think there is enough snow, and that skiing is done in Spring from Summit lake side.(?)

When I said half-assed I meant it. Narrow strips of snow along ridgelines, etc. There probably isn't even enough snow for that though.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:42 am

Mt Evans is a great ski day. I got 3 laps down it June 2011. Climbing up and skiing down the North face couloir is the best route.

Postby leggaj5 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:49 pm

bergsteigen wrote:Mt Evans is a great ski day. I got 3 laps down it June 2011. Climbing up and skiing down the North face couloir is the best route.

Is that route #5 or route #7/8 on the Route page for Mt. Evans?

ETA: Sorry to hijack the thread

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:52 pm

leggaj5 wrote:Is that route #5 or route #7/8 on the Route page for Mt. Evans?

ETA: Sorry to hijack the thread

#7 Had the best snow when I was there. The slopes/ridges to the left and right of #5 are also fun skis too. When the road opens to the summit, and if there's enough snow then - it's a lap-fest!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby nkan02 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Otina - thanks. That TR looks fantastic.

Jeff- wind forecast is deteriorating. :( As much as I want to get out, consider me a maybe. Plus I have a stupid cold that just won't go away.