Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Shav/Tab on Tuesday 3/12

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Shav/Tab on Tuesday 3/12

Postby I Man » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:18 pm

Is anyone interested in hiking Shav & Tab on Tuesday the 12th? Forecast is decent. We will start at the Angel of Shavano TH and climb steeply up "Espirit Point" and climb Shavano, then traverse to Tab and back. The route has a lot of gain, over 6k but the mileage is short, likely under 9. PM or post. Winter is almost over, get your snowflakes! :lol:

Re: Shav/Tab on Tuesday 3/12

Postby seth0687 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:54 pm

Where are you guys driving out from? I may be down. I'll know more by tomorrow night.

Postby I Man » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:01 am

Right now I am solo. I am driving from Vail, but not going back there after.

Postby swdishfishhoarder » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:21 am

I would be interested in going. I assume snowshoes will be needed...right?

Postby I Man » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:39 am

The route is very steep, but I will be bringing snowshoes. Maybe you guys can carpool. :-D

Postby Dex » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:56 pm

I drove by today. You can't make out the Angel but, it doesn't look like there is a lot of depth - from wha I can tell from the highway.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby lodgling » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:52 pm

Can you take some pics of coverage from Angel to summit (i.e. pics that a skier might be interest in)? I'd really appreciate it. Have a good day out there.

Postby I Man » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:36 am

I didn't wind up doing this but plan to tomorrow. 7am start. Anyone interested? It's on the way to Lake City, for anyone going to the "Winter Gathering."

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:28 am

lodgling wrote:Can you take some pics of coverage from Angel to summit (i.e. pics that a skier might be interest in)? I'd really appreciate it. Have a good day out there.

Only way to get this section "in" is to go after a large spring snowstorm with low winds, which pretty much never happens. This pic is from the top of Shav looking down towards the Angel during March of our record snow season from 2 years ago. That year was pretty much as good as it gets, and as you can clearly see still isn't that good.

Postby gregpeak » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:54 pm

Here is a pic from my front yard. The angel looks really good right now for skiing. It's hard to tell from this pic, but having skied a few times the lookers right arm probably goes to within 200 vertical feet of the summit. Looks like it would be a great ski now and well into the spring. We got quite a bit of snow the last month and I'm sure it's pretty deep up there. The difficult part is getting to the trailhead. I'm sure the road is blocked by snow so it's going to be a long way in.
Attachments
angel.jpg
angel.jpg (128.52 KiB) Viewed 147 times
I'm just glad I don't live in a trailer.
Jimmy Buffet

Postby Dex » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:15 pm

gregpeak wrote: We got quite a bit of snow the last month and I'm sure it's pretty deep up there. The difficult part is getting to the trailhead. I'm sure the road is blocked by snow so it's going to be a long way in.

Do you think the road still has snow on it?

The road to Yale's Denny Creek is clear - paved, I know.

The road to Missouri had some snow on it Wed but a snow-mobiler said I probably could make it in my truck. I didn't try it.

I was thinking of climbing up the Angel next week.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby lodgling » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Thanks for the pic gregpeak. I'll definitely hit you up for some front yard beta again at some point.

That year was pretty much as good as it gets, and as you can clearly see still isn't that good.

I don't know . . . looks like 14er skiing at its best. :shock:

Next