Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Couloir Climbing April 20

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Couloir Climbing April 20

Postby wtrimble » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:41 pm

ash-ish wrote:Thanks again everybody for the input. I will aim for ridge climbs then. Any challenging ones where I can use my crampons and ice axes?
I'm not sure what the conditions are currently but you could check out the west ridge of Atlantic Peak. I'm also in the search for a possible route this weekend. Does anyone know of an easy to moderate ridge route that can be ascended with climbing skins?

Postby gonzalj » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:43 pm

wtrimble wrote:
ash-ish wrote:Thanks again everybody for the input. I will aim for ridge climbs then. Any challenging ones where I can use my crampons and ice axes?
I'm not sure what the conditions are currently but you could check out the west ridge of Atlantic Peak. I'm also in the search for a possible route this weekend. Does anyone know of an easy to moderate ridge route that can be ascended with climbing skins?

To reach atlantic's west ridge, you have to ascend a pretty steep shoulder that would definitely be avy terrain in our current conditions. Most of the ridges I've seen around summit county in the past few days since we've received this snow have definitely appeared to be pretty windblown, so can't help you much there.

Postby Peakjumper » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:26 am

Ash-ish I will be playing around up on Pikes on Sunday possibly with another friend(I will go by myself if he changes his mind). I'm not planning on going for the summit but will be playing around in the Glen Cove area which is the highest you can drive right now. Looks like they picked up about 11" yesterday so some fresh. Anyways I would be glad to hike up towards the summit with you, Hell if it's good I just might go for it too. Anyways whatever you do be safe and remember the mountains aren't going anywhere!!
Feel free to PM me and I will give you my number if your interested. I split-board but will hike/slide with anyone that is safe minded.

Postby ash-ish » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:07 pm

Peakjumper,
I'm taking a crevasse rescue course on Sunday, but thanks for letting me know. You have a safe one too!

Postby Stevo68 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:54 pm

Although this couloir hasn't been mentioned, and the fact that in roach's 14 book and with common sense lamb slide it prone to slide. Ive never heard of a slide there other than the wet ones where it drains out in late spring on the lookers right. Any thoughts? One of my favorite climbs but I'm always hesitant because lack of winter info other than my own snow pit findings

Postby viejo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:38 am

Stevo68 wrote:Although this couloir hasn't been mentioned, and the fact that in roach's 14 book and with common sense lamb slide it prone to slide. Ive never heard of a slide there other than the wet ones where it drains out in late spring on the lookers right. Any thoughts? One of my favorite climbs but I'm always hesitant because lack of winter info other than my own snow pit findings

What is the question here? If it's with respect to Lamb's slide on Long's, then yes, I have seen where it's run in winter conditions. With its N/NE aspect and the recent snow conditions on the Front Range, this is a couloir that currently merits a very cautious approach.

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Peakjumper wrote:Ash-ish I will be playing around up on Pikes on Sunday

Did you make it to Glen Cove this weekend? If so, how were the conditions?

Previous