Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sat Climb?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Sat Climb?

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:58 pm

I'm free on Sat. Weather seems to be clearing up - now we just need the CAIC info to clear up. I'm game for pretty much anything in the Front, Sawatch or Elk......ideas?

Re: Sat Climb?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:09 pm

Elk?

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:28 pm

i'd be open for discussion on anything. what are you thinking?

edit: i've gotten a few PM's about the Elk comment. Obviously, I'm not looking to traverse the Bells or anything, people! just wanna get out by Aspen. Hell, I'd even just snowshoe around. I just haven't been that way all winter and I imagine it's gorgeous
Last edited by forbins_mtn on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:44 pm

I've had my eye on Castleabra for a while.

Postby Presto » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:19 am

Castleabra ... okay, I'll play along.

So, since you want to leave from the "Aspen area", this time of year gives you basically two options.

You can either cross the 11 avalanche gullies for the approach of the climb that begins near Conundrum Hot Springs (if my memory serves me correctly, that's an 11 mile one-way backpack just to get to the start of your climb this time of year).

Or, you can backpack up the road towards Castle, turn off at the Pearl Pass road, backpack up and over Pearl Pass and down the other side and then up to the head of the valley (returning the same way). Those slopes in that valley should be interesting this time of year. I don't recall offhand exactly how much mileage that would entail (we split it up over a couple of days one spring).

That would indeed be a heckuva way to spend a "Saturday".
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby nkan02 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:46 am

I am considering something on a more mellow side, such as DeCaLiBron .

Postby ChrisinAZ » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:42 pm

I'm possibly open to Grays/Torreys either day this weekend, if conditions are safe enough...
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Boom! Helluva Saturday! Alright alright....you guys win. My imagination got the best of me. I'm guilty of typing before thinking.

Postby glacierfox » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:16 pm

Conditions providing, I'm also looking at G&T or just Torrey's from Kelso on Saturday... Perhaps up Kelso ridge and down Gray's East ridge to avoid the sketchy areas if possible. Though given the distance from winter trailhead may be more than I'm bargaining for.

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Kelso is something I'd definitely do

Postby glacierfox » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:43 pm

The area around the saddle and the standard decent from Grays scares me a bit given the snow conditions. Any thoughts on decent? Forbins - When you say you'd do kelso do you mean ridge to Torrey's?

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:51 pm

Yeah, the ridge up to Torrey's. sorry, rocking this via iPhone in a meeting. Ugh! Lets keep our eyes on caic and the weather and go from there

Next