Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Returning from Afghanistan - planning 14er trip

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Returning from Afghanistan - planning 14er trip

Postby Jackal25 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:43 am

Hey, all. I'll be returning from Afghanistan mid-summer, and want to use some leave time to hit multiple 14ers. Call it "bagging peaks" if you want, but I'd like to do 10-11 in 14 days. I went up Mt. Bierstadt once 5 years ago, but that is the extent of my 14er experience. I feel like I'm somewhat of a novice for 14er know-how, but definitely not for fitness, land navigation, or general outdoor skills. I'll be coming in from about 6000' altitude over here, but might spend a good month back near sea-level before getting to make this trip. Any advice anyone has would be much appreciated, and would be very happy to have partners join me for any part of the trip. Thanks for reading.

Re: Returning from Afghanistan - planning 14er trip

Postby denvermikey » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:52 am

First of all, thank you for your service and welcome back (soon). =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

There are several good 14ers that you should be able to 'bag' while you are here. Evans, Quandary, De-Ca-Li-Bron, Sherman, Gray's & Torrey's, etc. Those are all easy access from Denver/Front Range. You could even add some more interesting peaks in the San Juans if you are able to get to the area. Several options in the Sawatch as well. If doing as many peaks as possible is your primary goal, there are a few multi-peak options. The afore mentioned DeCaLiBron (4), Gray's & Torrey's, Shav & Tab, just to name a few.

As far as partners, you will have zero problems with that. All you need to do is post something on this site within a week or two of your planned adventure(s). There will be no shortage of potential partners for you.

Good luck,

Mike
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby RosieTheSummiter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:26 pm

denvermikey wrote:First of all, thank you for your service and welcome back (soon). =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Mike

I second that.

I'd probably add Belford, Oxford and Missour - one trip yielding 3 peaks, all very doable. :)
"Don't get mad, get altitude."

Postby Fred North » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Let me add to the Thank You list and welcome home!!! =D>
Exactly...these go to 11 -- Nigel Tufnel

Postby laswa-guide » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:39 am

First, thanks for your service to all of us.

I'd be glad to help you plan, go with you on a trip, etc. PM me when you're ready.

I have a son who is expected to be deployed soon. He's done some 14ers with me when home on leave.

Postby pvnisher » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:58 am

Do a few in the Collegiates around Buena Vista or Denver / Breckenridge.
Then leave those behind and go to the much prettier San Juans and Sanges!

Postby Danny504 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:34 pm

I'd be happy to join you on any of the peaks mentioned in the thread once you're back. I'm a veteran, in good condition and always happy to meet another brother in arms. I'm OK with driving or splitting on gas. PM me once you're back. Stay frosty.

Postby shearmodulus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Just got back to Carson from N2KL and can attest that there is no better therapy than mountain therapy.... Hit me up when you plan n going. If I'm not climbing in Alaska I'm available to camp and climb most weekends.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."

Postby Jackal25 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:14 am

Thanks for the replies, all. Still have the lion's share of deployment left, but thinking about the mountains every day. I'll be posting more as the summer draws nearer.

Location: Way Up High In The Mountains (On The Alpine Loop) And Down By The Sea (In San Clemente)

Postby San Juan Ron » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:40 am

Thank your for your service!!!!!!!

If you decide to hit the San Juans, PM me and I will join you!

SJ Ron

Postby HULKHIKEGOOD » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:47 am

Hey Brother, Thank you for your time over there!!! I too am planning a "bagging" trip this summer and would LOVE to join you! Just the way you are getting back.... I am getting ready to go, so I am going to take some time this summer and enjoy the mountains! Let me know your plans when you get back. Again thank you for all you have done!
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."- Philippians 4:13

Postby Randy G. » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:57 am

Happy Home Commings Brother,

Will you be posted at Ft. Carson? We have a large climbing community in the area. I am in Pueblo and would be Proud to climb with you.

Thank You for your Service

Sgt. Randy G. USMC (Ret.)
"There is no escape from a passion like climbing, even though it may be the path to death"

Next