Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Anyone interested in Marthas Coulior?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Anyone interested in Marthas Coulior?

Postby vip-valet1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:39 pm

Hello Everyone,

Was hoping to get some climbs in of a more technical nature in this winter. Specifically Marthas Couloir and maybe even the north face on Longs(or any winter ascent of Longs really). And as winter turns into spring, wanted to also do dreamweaver and notch coulior. If any of these or other like climbs are on someone elses 'to do' list please let me know.

Thanks

Re: Anyone interested in Marthas Coulior?

Postby seth0687 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm down for Martha, shoot me a PM...Avail. Mon/Tues each week if that works.

Cheers,

Seth

Postby TomPierce » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:36 pm

You might enjoy Martha closer to the spring as an ice climb. I haven't been up there lately, but typically it's fatter on ice (if at all) closer and into spring. Just my opinion, not trying to rain on the parade. Regardless of when you go, have fun!
-Tom

Postby seth0687 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:51 am

TomPierce wrote:You might enjoy Martha closer to the spring as an ice climb. I haven't been up there lately, but typically it's fatter on ice (if at all) closer and into spring. Just my opinion, not trying to rain on the parade. Regardless of when you go, have fun!
-Tom

I'm not sure what the recent snows have done to the route, but I had a buddy up there pretty recently and he said it was in spring conditions due to the lack of precip. Little thin all together but still good mixed/ice to be had.

Postby vip-valet1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:53 pm

TomPierce wrote:You might enjoy Martha closer to the spring as an ice climb. I haven't been up there lately, but typically it's fatter on ice (if at all) closer and into spring. Just my opinion, not trying to rain on the parade. Regardless of when you go, have fun!
-

Thanks for the info. And I am sure you are right about that. I just know last year I waited until the typical times a lot of the routes came into best condition and because of the poor snow year, I waited too long and missed a lot of the climbs altogether. Just don't want to miss out again. Think I would rather go maybe under less than ideal conditions than not at all.

Postby TomPierce » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Yeah, I hear you about the conditions. "Typical" Colorado conditions seem...atypical lately. Good luck!
-Tom

Postby Stone_man » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:09 pm

seth0687 wrote:I'm not sure what the recent snows have done to the route, but I had a buddy up there pretty recently and he said it was in spring conditions due to the lack of precip. Little thin all together but still good mixed/ice to be had.

If you or anybody else ends up doing this route anytime soon I'd be highly interested in a bump on recent conditions. :) Thanks!

Postby seth0687 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:19 pm

We will be heading up there this coming Tues. I'll keep you posted on conditions, hoping for the best lol.

Seth

Postby MtnClimber82 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:09 pm

seth0687 wrote:We will be heading up there this coming Tues. I'll keep you posted on conditions, hoping for the best lol.

Seth

Were you able to get a look at the conditions on Martha today, Seth?

Postby xam_zerep » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:41 am

All four of those are on my list as well (Notch, North Face, Marthas and Dreamweaver)...let me know if you (vip-valet1) or anyone needs a partner...generally available weekends. -Max

Postby SHmids » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:58 pm

MtnClimber, I went with Seth and Vip-Valet up to Chasm Lake on Tuesday. We scoped out Martha's and wound up dry tooling one pitch that was almost completely dry. The pitch we did is usually completely covered in snow and is just part of the snow apron. The snow was extremely lean and the couloir conditions were not in at all. We rapped down (leaving behind a couple of slings and rap rings on climber's right...feel free to grab them if you do go up!) and did some ice climbing on Columbine Falls instead. It was a good day, but I would not recommend heading up specifically for Martha's right now. Columbine Falls on the other hand is a worthy destination! :-D

Postby MtnClimber82 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:17 pm

SHmids wrote:MtnClimber, I went with Seth and Vip-Valet up to Chasm Lake on Tuesday. We scoped out Martha's and wound up dry tooling one pitch that was almost completely dry. The pitch we did is usually completely covered in snow and is just part of the snow apron. The snow was extremely lean and the couloir conditions were not in at all. We rapped down (leaving behind a couple of slings and rap rings on climber's right...feel free to grab them if you do go up!) and did some ice climbing on Columbine Falls instead. It was a good day, but I would not recommend heading up specifically for Martha's right now. Columbine Falls on the other hand is a worthy destination! :-D

Thanks for the beta!! Maybe spring will bring some snow, let's hope!