Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sunday Kelso Ridge

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Sunday Kelso Ridge

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:19 am

Another member and I are thinking about rocking the Kelso Ridge this Sunday. Weather pending, obviously.

Anyone else interested? Or anyone have recent condition beta? I've been up the ridge in summer but I'm excited to get out the axe/crampons for this route

Re: Sunday Kelso Ridge

Postby ak47 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:28 am

I am definitely up for this! Not sure about current conditions, except that there's probably not alot of snow to deal with. Wonder if we would even need snowshoes for approach? I am aware of the avy situation out there right now but this should be a good, safe choice and alot of fun! PM me to make plans if the weather is looking good. I'll be at a basin fri/sat for a companion rescue class and the beacon bash saturday, so lets make plans prior to the weekend if possible. Thanks and looking forward to some winter climbing! Alex 3035797381

Postby nkan02 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:50 am

Too cold and cloudy this weekend, otherwise I'd be up for it. Keep me in the loop if you decide to go on alternative date.

Postby winmag4582001 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:19 am

My youngest and I were up at Kelso Mtn on Sunday. Here's a pic with Kelso Ridge in the background. Not alot of snow or cornice.
Attachments
Torreys.jpg
Torreys.jpg (124.08 KiB) Viewed 677 times
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby mtn_nut » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:51 pm

The ridge looked good and i took a lot of photos on Saturday of it. if only i could get into contact with max (kumo1341) since he has all my pictures, however i haven't heard from him since he split at the dino parknride lots to drive home.

the only cornices i saw was on the saddle between greys and torreys, and it was easily avoidable.

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:17 pm

thanks the a photo. i'd love any beta possible. ak47 - PM sent, nkan02 - would love to have you if you change your mind

i'm keeping my eye on the weather. clouds don't scare me. 60 mph do. i'm really hoping this works out

Postby benners » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:50 pm

Doesn't sound like there's enough snow up there right now for this to be a concern but keep this incident in mind as you travel along the standard route below Kelso's southeast face:

https://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_co.php?accident=20051222

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:42 pm

that southeast side of Kelso is definitely the problem spot, and always will be. It's on the forefront of my mind

Postby AlpineDude » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:01 pm

tempting. love that route. update Friday? Microspikes are way better for this route me thinks.

Postby IkeB » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:41 pm

Very tempting. Will pm on Friday if it looks doable for me.

Postby forbins_mtn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:40 am

AlpineDude wrote:tempting. love that route. update Friday? Microspikes are way better for this route me thinks.

with the recent beta i've been getting in my inbox looks like snowshoes and crampons are overkill. what a weak winter this has been

Postby sjpwarsaw » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:10 pm

We hiked Kelso On Saturday and there's not near as much snow as shown in the photos of the avy article. It was slightly above knee deep and all soft. No hard slabs. You might still be able to see where we glissaded down. Good luck.
Steve

Next