Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

California Pk on Saturday?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

California Pk on Saturday?

Postby sgladbach » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:57 pm

Also dabbling w/the idea of Mt. Ouray on Sunday.

Interested?
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Re: California Pk on Saturday?

Postby Rainier_Wolfcastle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:18 pm

Steve, I don't have any interest in California Peak. Mt. Ouray is on my short-list and I'd be open to Saturday or Sunday (if Sunday, I need to be back in Broomfield by ~ 3:30pm, but could start as early as needed). If you don't remember me, I was with you and Brit on Phoenix last spring....I think I might even be able to keep up with you this time :lol:
Shawn D
Broomfield, CO

Postby d_baker » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:32 pm

sgladbach wrote:Also dabbling w/the idea of Mt. Ouray on Sunday.

Interested?

Interested.

Postby Floyd » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:00 pm

I was going to head for some low stuff in RMNP, but I'm interested in California. I'm pretty out of shape though if you don't mind someone lagging WAY behind.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby sgladbach » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:56 am

Darin, Floyd: Thinking a 6AM start time from the Zapata Falls or Rasberry Gulch TH. I'll be sleeping in my green Olds Bravada at the Zapata TH.

Please look at this TR.

I was planning on the Rasberry Gulch Trail to the ridge top, then heading straight south. (That is how I've done it from the east.) But, HikerGuy's route is almost 2 miles shorter. See what you think and come w/ an opinion.
Two options

Also, I'm missing this map from my collection. Do either of you have the correct map?

Ranier Wolcastle,
I'm a little torn on this as I could return to Pueblo Saturday night and work on Taxes/Bills on Sunday. (Plus my daughter wants me to attend youth services at her mother's church on Sunday as she will be singing.) I have already planned NOT to do any of that, but I'm not 100% on climbing. If I had a partner, I'd almost certainly stay in the hills as planned. However, I think a return to Broomfield by 3:30 is unlikely. Even with a 4:30AM start, I think a 1:30 return to the TH would be tough.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby Rainier_Wolfcastle » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:31 am

Steve,

I think Darin was interested in going after Ouray on Sunday as well. My 3:30 target is not a hard target...just a goal, me wife will be waiting for me and I might catch some grief. The weather forecast looks hard to pass up! I have been up to the devil's armchair in fall before from Gray's Creek TH...but I don't know how far up towards Marshall Pass we would make it in current conditions. I do have a 4Runner, so we could make it a little ways at least.

Let me know your thoughts.

Shawn
Shawn D
Broomfield, CO

Postby d_baker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm not going to make Saturday for California Steve because I'm working. Sunday doesn't look good for me now either, so I'm out. Sorry. Have a good time!