Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Yale on MLK Day (1/21)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Yale on MLK Day (1/21)

Postby IkeB » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:08 pm

What time are you leaving denver? Wouldn't mind car pooling if you have room.

Postby Lamb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:38 am

I keep, kind of late now but give me a call if you can and maybe we can still meet up.

Postby kushrocks » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Awesome Awesome day getting out with Jeff, Nick and our new friends the Justin's, Ike and Jeff from Westcliffe. Great climbing with you guys and enjoying pizza and beer in BV after. I couldnt believe the Spring like conditions we had. Here are a couple photos from today.
Attachments
IMG_0479.jpg
Jeff (SurfNTurf) being sneaky heading up the trail
IMG_0479.jpg (78.11 KiB) Viewed 409 times
IMG_0481.JPG
MonGoose (Nick) having fun on the ice.
IMG_0481.JPG (116.59 KiB) Viewed 409 times
IMG_0484.jpg
Jeff from Westcliff heading up the trail
IMG_0484.jpg (83.32 KiB) Viewed 409 times
Last edited by kushrocks on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby kushrocks » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 pm

Here are a few more photos.
Attachments
IMG_0488.JPG
The group making our way up above treeline.
IMG_0488.JPG (129.87 KiB) Viewed 401 times
IMG_0493.JPG
Nick (MonGoose) and Justin topping out on Yale
IMG_0493.JPG (120.32 KiB) Viewed 401 times
IMG_0494.JPG
SurfNTurf (Jeff) topping out on Yale
IMG_0494.JPG (141.08 KiB) Viewed 401 times
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:51 pm

"I have a secret..."

Thanks to Justin Squared, Jeff, Ike, Nick and Ryan for a spectacular trip. Summit aside, it was a blast to spend time with y'all. Oh, and Ryan, eat less jalapenos. Seriously.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby IkeB » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:11 am

Had a great day. Cannt wait to do it again.

Postby Nelson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 am

I'm glad you guys had a good climb.

Did you go from Denny Creek? Could you drive to the TH? Equipment? (snowshoes, crampons, ax, microspikes?)

How long did it take compared to a summer hike?

Thanks for the beta.

Nelson

Postby kushrocks » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:59 am

The road is plowed all the way to the Denny Creek Trailhead. Be careful though there are some icy spots on the road in. If you take it slow though a two wheel drive car should still be able to make it. No snow shoes or ice axe needed. We brought the axe though just in case. Microspikes highly recommended. There is a packed down trail all the way above tree line. From there we just starting making our way toward the summit where we could more or less follow the trail. It is scary how little snow there is up there for this time of year.

Postby Nelson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:05 am

Thanks, Kushrocks.

I'm looking for alternatives to two week old snow here in Utah and a horrible inversion.

I might heading down today.

Postby Lamb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:33 am

It was a great time and thank you Justin, Ike, Nick, Ryan, Jeff and Jeff. I learned a bunch and thanks for sharing your time and expertise. I will post some pictures later tonight.

Postby jhobby » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:06 am

Jeff, Thank You for putting this together. And also want to thank evryone else; I also learned a lot . GREAT HIKE and GREAT TIME!

-Jeff

Postby MonGoose » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:00 pm

On the ride home Jeff, Kush and I were commenting on what a great day we had and how much we really enjoyed hiking with you guys and eating pizza. I hope to hike with you all again in the future. Thanks for a great day!

Summit_1658_clarity10_sm.jpg
Summit of Mt Yale
Summit_1658_clarity10_sm.jpg (152.92 KiB) Viewed 183 times

NOTE: If you would like a higher res copy of this photo, PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

PreviousNext