Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sunshine & Redcloud 1/19

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Sunshine & Redcloud 1/19

Postby ameristrat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:32 pm

Trying to put a trip together - probably would cram in a motel in Lake City Friday night and climb on Saturday. Carpooling from Denver area.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Re: Sunshine & Redcloud 1/19

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:08 pm

Yes.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Sounds good.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby swdishfishhoarder » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:09 am

I might be interested depending on the winter difficulty. I haven't hiked a 14er in winter yet and have almost no winter gear except for the clothes. I was thinking of hiking Quandary since there is limited avy danger and I've hiked it before in summer. If these two aren't too hard and I won't have to buy a lot of winter climbing gear, I'm in. Let me know ASAP so I can get work covered on Friday.

Postby ameristrat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:45 am

Jeff and Bill are much better off answering this question, but here's my stab. If you're thinking you'll need crampons and serious ice climbing gear, don't worry, you won't. You should have snowshoes (rent from REI) and microspikes. It probably wouldn't hurt to have an ice axe either, but we'll talk to Jenny (climbed this route a few days ago) and see what she thought. If you don't already have them, really good gloves and boots are critical too as temperatures / wind chills are often below zero and, at least for me, hands and feet are most likely to get uncomfortably cold very quickly. Gators also are necessary.

From just looking at the route, it's a lot of elevation in not very much distance. I think I recall 5500' in 10 miles to get both peaks, so I know it will be exhausting for me. It's also a lot bushwhacking as there is no trail. So in comparison to Quandary, add 2000' of gain and 4ish miles. Also keep in mind that hiking in winter is much more exhausting than summer due to carrying extra gear / breaking trail / clomping through snow, etc.

If you already know all this my bad. I've only done one winter climb and it was a significant leap up from anything in summer in the physical toll it takes - if you're not prepared physically, mentally, and in the gear you have, it would be absolutely miserable and potentially dangerous. I certainly want anyone who does any winter climbing to be safe.

Last thing, I can't miss work friday, so I will be heading out at 4-5 to get to Lake City by 10 hopefully. No rush.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:14 am

swdishfishhoarder wrote:I might be interested depending on the winter difficulty. I haven't hiked a 14er in winter yet and have almost no winter gear except for the clothes. I was thinking of hiking Quandary since there is limited avy danger and I've hiked it before in summer. If these two aren't too hard and I won't have to buy a lot of winter climbing gear, I'm in. Let me know ASAP so I can get work covered on Friday.

Quandary and Bierstadt are great starter winter 14ers. Elbert if you want a longer day.

Redcloud/Sunshine, while not necessarily dangerous, may not be the most fun either. The winter route from Mill Creek is damn steep, and it'll be a moderately long day between 10-12 hours RT. The group that just did it Wednesday reported no need for ice axes, traction, gaiters or snowshoes. That might change depending on the snow this weekend, but I doubt it. Avalanche danger is minimal in most conditions.

As long as you have the clothing (baselayers, 1-2 midlayers, shell, emergency puffy) and the desire to perhaps be a little miserable for 12 hours, I say you'd be fine.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Fisching » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:15 am

Obviously, this is dependent on whatever this storm or any future storm brings between now and then, but minimal gear was needed when we climbed it on 1/9.

Ice axe - didn't use them once.
Snowshoes - pointless. The snow was never deeper than 5 inches except for a a small section right above treeline; the first 1500'+ vert was bare ground. Even if the trench wasn't there, I wouldn't have put on snowshoes given the lack of winter white.
Microspikes - not needed.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby TheOtherIndian » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:51 am

I'd be interested in joining the group for these peaks. I can only leave Longmont just before 5, so around 6 at Denver. If anyone wants to drive out that late I'd be happy to join in and wouldn't mind driving my car either.
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby swdishfishhoarder » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:50 am

Anyone driving through Colorado Springs? I'm looking to carpool and am willing to chip in gas money. If I can get work covered I'd be in for sure. I should know by the end of the day if I can go.

Postby ameristrat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:58 am

There are a couple of people who were interested in coming / looking for a ride - one in Co Springs (Germanloveshiking) and one in Pueblo (Mvanleeuwen).

Postby I Man » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:02 pm

ameristrat wrote:There are a couple of people who were interested in coming / looking for a ride - one in Co Springs (Germanloveshiking) and one in Pueblo (Mvanleeuwen).

Is it warm enough for GermanLovesHiking?? :lol: :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38689

Kidding, of course. You guys should have an incredible day with such a great forecast and group of climbers :-D
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:20 pm

I'm hiking Friday as well if anyone wants to join. I'll likely meet the group (Bill or the later caravan) in Salida on Friday evening to carpool from there. Looking forward to it, should be a gorgeous weekend.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

Next