Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Blanca on Saturday (Jan. 5)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Blanca on Saturday (Jan. 5)

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Plans are in the works for a Blanca trip this weekend and the weather looks gorgeous. We have three confirmed as of now. Anyone who has the appropriate gear is welcome to join. We'll head down Friday afternoon and start early Saturday morning (3 or 4 a.m.) from 8,800' as a daytrip.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Re: Blanca on Saturday (Jan. 5)

Postby awilbur77 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:40 pm

Trench poacher. \:D/

Seriously though, I would give this another shot if I didn't already have plans this weekend.
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller
http://awilbur77.blogspot.com/

Postby catfish hank » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:39 pm

I need to get up in some hills. Been eyeballing Ellingwood for days now. I can help break some trail up to the ridge and would go for Ellingwood instead. Are there any reports out there on how much snow dropped on Monday. They were calling for 4-8" I agree the weather window looks stupendous
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
and you got the stock market beat.
And the man worth while is the man who can smile
when his shorts are tight in the seat... Smails.

Postby Matt Lemke » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Oooh another Sangres Winter Weekend! :-D
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:10 pm

I know at least one other person wants Ellingwood more and possibly both (only Blanca for me), so we can definitely coordinate.

And for the record, I was planning on doing Blanca this Saturday way before I saw Brad's TR. :-"
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby nkan02 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:14 pm

I would still bring snowshoes, as we found out, the trench from previous weekend was non-existent. Winds take care of it quickly. Good luck!

Postby Mountain Ninja » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Fletch wrote:Don't forget to start at 1am. :lol:

:wink:
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Fun with karate weapons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4kyfjGBiQ

Postby Tony1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:15 pm

I'm interested, however I only lack snowshoes. I COULD just deal with it as I have done a few times before... doesn't look like too much snow fell with the last storm.

Postby maverick_manley » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:18 pm

nkan02 wrote:I would still bring snowshoes, as we found out, the trench from previous weekend was non-existent. Winds take care of it quickly. Good luck!

catfish hank wrote:I need to get up in some hills. Been eyeballing Ellingwood for days now. I can help break some trail up to the ridge and would go for Ellingwood instead. Are there any reports out there on how much snow dropped on Monday. They were calling for 4-8" I agree the weather window looks stupendous

A couple of us broke a 6-18" deep trench up to 13200' yesterday and had to abort because weather turned South. We figured that was about how much fresh had dropped on 12/31 - 1/1. There were no signs of a prior trench. Above treeline our own trench barely held for our return. Portions that are sheltered from wind in the trees might be still around since no snow of significance was forecast between yesterday and the coming weekend.
My Brain Stops at Treeline but my Soles will Summit

Postby ameristrat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Tony

You can rent snowshoes from rei for $18 if you're a member.
Last edited by ameristrat on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ulvetano » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:05 pm

S&T, sent you a PM re possibly joining up for the duo.

Postby jswiftcervelo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:14 pm

Hey I currently have a ride to do Bross, Lincoln, Democrat on Saturday but would much rather go for the Blanca group - is there anyone leaving from the Denver area that I could bum a ride from? I'll pay for gas [-o<

Josh
Winter only :) Cycling only March-late October... Mountaineering = awesome cross-training

Next