Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Denver Happy Hour (January)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Denver Happy Hour (January)

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:04 pm

I hope everyone's having a great holiday season, and I apologize for the somewhat-short notice.

WHAT: January Denver Happy Hour
WHEN: 6 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 3
WHERE: Punch Bowl Social, 65 Broadway, Denver

This place is relatively new and we shouldn't have much trouble taking over the upstairs bar. It's not a brewery, but many local craft beers are on tap. There's also food, games and a small bowling alley. Punch Bowl is in the 1st/Broadway area, which we haven't visited, and there's a parking lot and free on-street parking after 6 p.m.

The venue is HUGE with many different rooms. Just ask at the door for the upstairs bar, which is more intimate and has both standing room and tables. The stairs are all the way in the back near the bowling alley.

Sadly, to my knowledge there is no cowboy-themed bar within walking distance.

EDIT: I was going to schedule this for Jan. 10 because of the proximity to NYE, but that conflicts with the Ouray Ice Festival.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Re: Denver Happy Hour (January)

Postby BenfromtheEast » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:10 pm

I'm in. Shall we call it a streak? For my prize, I'd gladly take a replacement on that block of cheese you double-stole over another Beast Light.

Postby jmc5040 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:20 pm

I will be there! Since it isn't a brewery maybe those who are trying to "drink less beer" can go the route of mixed drinks?
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby moon stalker » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Since it's winter, can't we swtich to Fridays? Or at least some other day of the week?
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.

Postby aliciaf » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:01 pm

I'll be there!!

Postby kushrocks » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:42 pm

You should push it back a week to the 10th. A lot of people will still be out of town for the 3rd . . . . like myself for example.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby 14erAddict » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks for not interfering with my Ice Fest plans ;)
"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks" - John Muir

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:39 pm

Not sure yet. I might be in Steamboat.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby MtnChick » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:39 pm

There is not near enough banter here...everyone feeling okay? #-o

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:09 pm

Everyone is up to their ears in snowflakes right now... this might be a sparse crowd.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby ameristrat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:02 pm

I'll be there :mrgreen:
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:05 am

Bump because this is tomorrow.

There's not as much interest as usual, which is understandable given the short notice and proximity to NYE. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery about moving this to Jan. 10 (might conflict with the Ice Festival) or even Jan. 17 (right before MLK, Jr. Weekend)?

I'll make a decision by tonight, so send me a PM or post here if you want to weigh in. Thanks.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Next