Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lincoln - Sunday 12/23

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Lincoln - Sunday 12/23

Postby Yikes » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:17 am

Anyone up for Lincoln tomorrow? Thinking of the Quartzville route, with parking at Zinc.

Not really planning on a "group" hike, "guided" hike or such. Just checking if anyone wants to share the mtn. Recovering from foot surgery so may be slow, turn back early, etc.

Re: Lincoln - Sunday 12/23

Postby B[3] » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:10 pm

Have fun! I was amazed at how little snow there appeared to be after the storms last week. Photo below was taken yesterday on my way up North Star.
Attachments
lincoln.jpg
lincoln.jpg (102.65 KiB) Viewed 232 times
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown

Postby Brian C » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:15 pm

B[3] - I wondered whose tracks we were following up North Star today. Ungodly windy up there today! Lincoln looked very dry.

Postby B[3] » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:17 pm

I've been told my tracks are quite distinctive--I'm very duck-footed (makes it hard to follow my tracks back down). :lol: Too bad about the wind today--it was beautiful yesterday.
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown

Postby Brian C » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Very funny! It was brutal. Blowing about 40mph constantly with gusts higher. It wouldn't have been bad but was blowing spindrift up from below on us the whole time. Finally threw in the towel in the final bit after my wife's feet started to freeze. Time to get her some actual winter boots!

Postby B[3] » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:08 pm

Brian C wrote:Time to get her some actual winter boots!

I hear you on that! I have two pairs of boots--summer hiking boots and double insulated plastic Koflach boots that I use for ice climbing. I try to avoid hiking in the Koflach boots, but yesterday I decided to go with those since it was -1 deg F at the trailhead. It turned out to be a good choice as far as warmth, but I had a tough time hiking in them. If I keep hiking in the winter, I'm going to look into more comfortable winter hiking boots.