Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

12/22 - Southern Sawatch Soiree

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

12/22 - Southern Sawatch Soiree

Postby geojed » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Anyone else interested in a Baldwin Gulch Cent, two Bi-Cents, and a Tri-Cent on Saturday? Or if you are planning on snagging some "snowflake" bling on Antero we could share trail breaking duties up the Baldwin Gulch 4WD road! Me and another are leaving from Denver ~3AM. Room for two more. Weather looks great! Partly Cldy/Partly Sunny, High 28F w/ 15-20mph West wind.

North Ridge of Cronin Peak (13,870'), Grizzly Mtn (13,708'), Mt Mamma (13,646'), Boulder Mtn (13,528'). Break out the snowshoes and be prepared for a long day, especially with all the new snow: 14.1mi and 6600' elev gain

Here's an online map of it. http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q=mymap,203132380232741494958.0004d10d0a6330bd97edb

Here's a SP page on the North Ridge of Cronin which is a good "winter route" for this peak. http://www.summitpost.org/north-ridge/239486

Cheers,

Jed
Attachments
12-18-2012 3-03-32 PM.jpg
12-18-2012 3-03-32 PM.jpg (280.19 KiB) Viewed 307 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Re: 12/22 - Southern Sawatch Soiree

Postby I Man » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:20 pm

The North Ridge of Cronin is a fun route in snow. Have fun Jedi!
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby jswiftcervelo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:00 pm

This should be a trip :)

Cronin N. Ridge = Class 2+ (maybe 3), Grizzly East ridge = narrow and exposed class 3 (summitpost)

Sounds FUN!!!!!

*almost forgot about the road though ](*,)
Winter only :) Cycling only March-late October... Mountaineering = awesome cross-training

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:18 pm

You're forgetting Mt Mamma! (on the red line that is)
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby geojed » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:25 pm

bergsteigen wrote:You're forgetting Mt Mamma! (on the red line that is)

The high point of 13,646' on Mount Mamma is on the red line. On the USGS maps the name for some reason is not on the high point.
From SP: http://www.summitpost.org/mount-mamma/728880
To the north of Mt. Mamma, a high ridgeline continues more than a mile giving rise to Point 13553 ft and Point 13523 ft. For some reason, the USGS Map puts the words “Mt. Mamma” near Point 13553 ft. This point, however, has only around 50 ft of prominence. Mountain climbers generally consider Point 13646 ft as the true summit of Mt. Mamma.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:27 pm

Well that's good, wouldn't want you to miss a peak though mislabeling! :P
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby geojed » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:39 pm

bergsteigen wrote:Well that's good, wouldn't want you to miss a peak though mislabeling! :P

That would be tragedy wouldn't it! I guess a "purist/hipster" peak bagger would cover their bases and grab both, just to be safe! I am not such a person. [-( :lol: