Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Blanca in Winter - 12/29

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Blanca in Winter - 12/29

Postby Muldstar » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:31 pm

Yes, that was myself and wife who you heard setting up camp. We too enjoyed the tracks going up. No summit for us. We made it to Crater Lake before calling it a day b.c. of cold feet. We had planned on skinning in but that changed after seeing the conditions. To say the least, my other hiking boots did not hold up to all the snow. It was a beautiful day and snowshoes (or more snow for skiing) would have been nice. Some pics at the following link: http://www.mountaindock.org/blanca-peak-attempt/

Postby awilbur77 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:55 pm

So, I am questionable for this coming Saturday. A heel vs. corner of the wall in my kitchen has resulted in a very painful bone bruise on my left heel. I am hoping it'll get better over the next few days, but for now I am 50/50 at best.

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:40 pm

awilbur77 wrote:A heel vs. corner of the wall in my kitchen has resulted in a very painful bone bruise on my left heel.

Sorry to hear it. I tried pinky toe vs cabinet last year. :shock: The toe was broken and looked like a giant maraschino cherry. It took about a month to heal too. Hope your heel gets better quicker than that.

Postby Mountain Ninja » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:30 am

I hope y'all had a Merry Christmas!

Weather for Blanca is looking decent for Saturday, and I'm gettin' prepped to rock!

Please PM me if you're thinking about joining up, and we'll work out details!

My idea so far:
Personally, I want the maximum chance of success on this beast. And since I'm looking forward to a warm night's sleep in a cheap hotel in Alamosa Friday night, I'll be hiking the road that morning. So, I'm gonna plan on starting very early on the road. Probably start up the road in the XTerra around 2:00am, hopefully making it a couple miles past 8,000' (8,800' would be sweet, but we'll see how much snow there is), and hiking around 3:00am. That way, we have daylight to scope out terrain, hike/climb the peak(s), and get back to safe ground before dark.

Hope to have a good group for this! Or even a couple groups :) But the more, the merrier for breakin' some trail.

Brad
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Fun with karate weapons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4kyfjGBiQ

Postby Mountain Ninja » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:57 am

Anyone else want to join up? We've got a few people excited about this route on Saturday, so please PM me if you're interested. :)
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Fun with karate weapons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4kyfjGBiQ

Postby sevenvii » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:17 pm

PM Sent. I think I may be able to make this work.

Postby awilbur77 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:17 am

My foot is still in some pain, but I am going to give this a shot anyway. See you guys Saturday. I'll be sleeping in my Jeep on Lake Como road somewhere Friday night and getting an early start on Saturday.

Postby SHmids » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:28 pm

ETA and Muldoc, thank you for sharing your experiences at Lake Como this past weekend. It seems it was just not the weekend for those summits! Muldoc, great pictures in your link :)

Good luck to everyone headed down this weekend! Successful summits and safe returns to all! Happy New Year :-D

Mareshah

Postby ClayDishman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:21 pm

Good luck....the next several hours!!!!

Please provide some info/pics of LB if you can. (I.e. avalanche conditions/snow fall)
Attempting wk of 1/13

Postby geojed » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:35 am

ClayDishman wrote:Good luck....the next several hours!!!!

Please provide some info/pics of LB if you can. (I.e. avalanche conditions/snow fall)
Attempting wk of 1/13

If you are attempting LB via the SW Ridge you don't have to worry about avalanches at all right now at least. (Conditions may change with snow storms between now and your climb.) We climbed it yesterday and ditched our snowshoes about 15mins into the hike and never regretted that decision. There were several 2ft drifts in the trees near treeline but once above treeline the ridge is mostly windblown. The Mama Bear Traverse is in great condition right now too. I'll be posting a trip report sometime this week.
Last edited by geojed on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Matt Lemke » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:04 am

Great job to everyone yesterday! Looks like you all had a successful ascent of Blanca. I'll echo what Jed said, the mama bear traverse was in great condition and snow was hardly a factor. Just be comfortable with exposure :P
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby ClayDishman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:19 pm

To all those that had a great time...good job!
Thanks for the info regarding LB.
Any of you on the SW ridge, did you notice the conditions of the hour glass?

PreviousNext