Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Blanca in Winter - 12/29

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Blanca in Winter - 12/29

Postby Mountain Ninja » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:55 pm

I'm planning to climb Blanca on Saturday, December 29th. Would anyone like to join up to tackle the Sangre Zenith?

Possible climb of Ellingwood as well, depending on our progress and conditions of course. :)
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Fun with karate weapons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4kyfjGBiQ

Re: Blanca in Winter - 12/29

Postby CDR242 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:37 pm

I am interested! I haven't checked the snow and road conditions in a while, how far can you get before starting the slog to camp?

Postby Mountain Ninja » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:08 pm

CDR242 wrote:I am interested! I haven't checked the snow and road conditions in a while, how far can you get before starting the slog to camp?

I have no idea about how far up we'll be able to drive, but I, too, am curious if anyone's been up there recently...? I can bring this up in a week or so as we're getting closer. :)

Fun with karate weapons:

Postby Matt Lemke » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:32 am

I hope to attempt Little Bear that day! Maybe I can wave to you :-D
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby SHmids » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:27 pm

A couple friends and I are planning this same hike on the 21/22. Planning for Ellingwood and Blanca. Will post conditions when we get back...

Postby jblyth » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:48 pm

Hey Brad - I could be in for this, let's see how the conditions are looking next week and touch base.

Postby ETA » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:37 pm

If the plans hold I will be up there 22nd - 24th, nice to know there might be others out too. If you see a yellow Bibler stop by and say hello.
Ed..
3 or 4 miles, can't be much further than that.

Postby jswiftcervelo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:37 am

Hey was wondering your general itinerary - Its possible I might end up there in the same timeframe as you if I decide to go do it (24th is entirely possible).

Also is anyone else going that direction next week?

Josh
Winter only :) Cycling only March-late October... Mountaineering = awesome cross-training

Postby Mountain Ninja » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:15 am

We don't have an exact itinerary just yet, but I do see the potential for two groups:

Some people seem to want to hike in and camp at Lake Como.

However, I'll be getting a room in Alamosa Friday night (Dec. 28), then driving & hiking in one day from there. I have a 4x4 XTerra that will take us as high up the Como road as possible at the time, so a few of you who want to meet up very early Saturday morning with me can hitch a ride in the XTerra :)
Last edited by Mountain Ninja on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fun with karate weapons:

Postby awilbur77 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:43 am

Add me to the interest list too. I am playing this weekend by ear, and may end up in the San Juans if snow conditions are ok. If conditions look better in the Sangres, I am in for a camp in Como Friday night and summit Blanca and maybe Ellingwood the following day.
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller
http://awilbur77.blogspot.com/

Postby jswiftcervelo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:12 pm

I'll be busy in a Sawatch sufferfest on Saturday but was wondering if anyone was interested in doing this (no camp, 1 day), on a different day?
Winter only :) Cycling only March-late October... Mountaineering = awesome cross-training

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:15 pm

Planning on hiking Humboldt that day but I still need Blanca eventually... How do-able is Blanca in winter? :-k
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Next