Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Culebra Winter Hike

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Culebra Winter Hike

Postby Neil » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:44 am

By the way, if the ranch only wants to allow one calendar winter hike, I'm open to a March date that would satisfy both hikers and skiers.
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

Postby Neil » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:45 am

anna wrote:Some info from last year's Culebra climb:

Check in is 4:00 am Sat Feb 4 at the North Headquarters gate to the Ranch. Anyone interested in climbing Red Mountain also would need to summit Culebra by 12:00 noon in order to go on to Red. If their summit is after that time, then Red is not an option. At 2:00 pm everyone must begin their descent no matter where they are whether that be on Culebra, on Red or somewhere is between. Everyone must be signed out by 6:00 pm.

The fee for this climb is $200 per person.

The distance from the gate to the North Headquarters is approximately 2 miles and if there is no more than 4" or so of snow, should be plowed. However, if more snow falls there is no guarantee of that begin done which would mean that you may have to start at the gate.

The distance from the North Headquarters to the Culebra Parking (at treeline) is a minimum of 4 miles with a vertical gain of apprx 2500 ft.

There is another group of 4 planning on climbing and they also will have a Spot Beacon. Carlos will also be sending 1 or 2 emergency radios up with the group.

Our plan is to receive a weather condition report from Carlos about mid-day on Friday. At that time, if we cancel the climb, I will immediately send emails out to everyone and will attempt to call Brad. If you do not hear from me, then you can presume the climb is still on.

Awesome. Great info...thanks Anna.
-Driving Song

Postby I Man » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:46 am

Neil wrote:By the way, if the ranch only wants to allow one calendar winter hike, I'm open to a March date that would satisfy both hikers and skiers.

My vote is always to save March weekends for tougher winter climbs as we have more daylight, but I certainly understand the position of the skiers and would rather the most people be happy with the plan.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Neil » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:57 am

anna wrote:Just shot Carole an email to see if we might be able to arrange for both February and March dates. Will keep you posted.

Thank you for doing that Anna. I'm sure we all look forward to her response. Either way, looks like we have a good start on this plan. Thanks again.
-Driving Song

Postby Scott P » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:58 am

I'm interested, but $400 is pretty steep if I take my son too. Does anyone know if children are given a discount? Are they even allowed on the mountain in winter? 18 miles is a long day. Is camping banned in winter? I assume that it is.

I could call them myself if no one already knows, but didn't want to bother them if someone already knew.

Just shot Carole an email to see if we might be able to arrange for both February and March dates.

I wouldn't mind having the email address of whomever you talk too. It would be appreciated. Thanks.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby SolarAlex » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:52 pm

id be up for march ideally but february would be cool too

Postby XC Snowboarder » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:55 pm

I would be down to go with/help organize a trip in March (or non Winter in April) to ride/ski it when we have improved chances of getting good snow.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Its definitely something I would be interested in, I have a buddy that is interested in Red in winter so put me down as an interested with a "+1".

I think the 18 miles is including Red. Culebra is more like 16, its 4.4 from ranch to upper TH and 7 RT on Culebra according to Bill's route info.

If the ranch packs the road with snowmobiles (as I have heard they have done in the past as well) then I don't think there will be more than 2 or 3 miles of actual trailbreaking which will make our day a lot easier than the stats suggest at first glance. Especially with a big group! The cutoff times should be easy enough to hit.

For reference, last years TR the "slowest" summited Culebra at 11, Red at 12.10 and Culebra again at 1.15. They had pretty good weather, let's hope we are so lucky!

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=11486&parmpeak=Culebra+Peak&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby IkeB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:11 pm

I am extremely interested in this. Only calendar conflict I may have is with king of the hammers in febuary.

Postby ameristrat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:18 pm

I am very interested - I will supply boundless enthusiasm.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby I Man » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:21 pm

ameristrat wrote:I am very interested - I will supply boundless enthusiasm.

Sorry, you aren't invited. :lol:
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Neil » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Scott P wrote:Is camping banned in winter? I assume that it is.

Scott, I understand from a 14ers.com member who has previously been on the mountain in winter that camping is not allowed.

Chicago Transplant wrote:I think the 18 miles is including Red. Culebra is more like 16, its 4.4 from ranch to upper TH and 7 RT on Culebra according to Bill's route info.

If the ranch packs the road with snowmobiles (as I have heard they have done in the past as well) then I don't think there will be more than 2 or 3 miles of actual trailbreaking which will make our day a lot easier than the stats suggest at first glance. Especially with a big group! The cutoff times should be easy enough to hit.

For reference, last years TR the "slowest" summited Culebra at 11, Red at 12.10 and Culebra again at 1.15. They had pretty good weather, let's hope we are so lucky!

Chicago, I was just trying to figure this out when you posted. Thanks for doing the calculations. Seems very manageable. I agree -- if the road packing is done as anticipated, the cutoff times should permit a Red summit for those who want it. Thanks again.
-Driving Song

PreviousNext